• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck, Austria, 24.04.2020 (1 Viewer)

Bitis

Austria
Hello,

today a duck got me a little confused. At first I thought it is a female Garganey - light throat, supercilum and spot behind the bill; no blue in the wing. Also it was quite smaller than the drake Mallard it was swimming with.
But it has an orange bill. So I guess it is "just" a Mallard? I guess it would be a last years bird?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200424-181645.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-181645.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20200424-181703.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-181703.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20200424-204014.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-204014.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hello,

today a duck got me a little confused. At first I thought it is a female Garganey - light throat, supercilum and spot behind the bill; no blue in the wing. Also it was quite smaller as the drake Mallard it was swimming with.
But it has an orange bill. So I guess it is "just" a Mallard? I guess it would be a last years bird?

Thanks in advance!

Looks like female mallard to me. The bill spot isn't clear or pronounced, there's no whitish chin* and the face pattern is very different to garganey IMHO.

[Edit *the chin is lighter in colour but as with the bill spot, this isn't a pronounced white as on garganey]

Thanks a lot for your reply, Mallard it is :)

Is it normal for a Mallard to have a black/grey speculum? Is this an age related thing? (same bird in the pic)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-094903.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425-094903.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks a lot for your reply, Mallard it is :)

Is it normal for a Mallard to have a black/grey speculum? Is this an age related thing? (same bird in the pic)

It's not black/grey. That's due to the ambient light and the interference of the reeds. Towards the right you can see a small patch of blue - indicative of the true colour

Thanks for your reply. Must have been the light then! I was just confused because I also saw it in flight and the speculum definetly appeared grey/dark. But it was a pretty overcast day, that might explain it.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back