• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

D'ham / H'ton

NZ24 Barkers Haugh
6 Grey Wag 16 Pied Wag together on swg wks.
singing were Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Willow Tit,
building were Wren, Song Thrush & LTTit
drumming GSW, Linnets at nesting colony, 4 Jays in dispute
"Summer" visitors, no hirundines seen, numerous Chiffs & singles of cock Blackcap & Willow Warbler.
Most notable was single Lesser Redpoll in display flight over Birch / thorn scrub.

Houghton area
Good range of species today, with summer visitors along with winter birds & weather.....
LRP, Swallow, Sand Martin, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap
Green Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Willow Tit
Water Rail, Kingfisher, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Jack Snipe, Snipe, Woodcock
Goldeneye, Goosander, Ruddy Duck, Gadwall, Shoveller, Teal, Wigeon, Shelduck, GCGrebe,
Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Redwing, Fieldfare

Houghton Gate
Stopped for 2 mins in passing to see incubating Lapwings surrounded by snow, 9 Pink Footed Geese including 1 with orange legs & 3 Snipe in middle of field showing up well against the white background.

SE

For LRP read RLP

Started a bit later than normal this morning hoping the weather would clear up :-O
First port of call was Lamesley which produced the following;- 11 Greylag Geese, 14 Teal, 2 Red-legged Partridge, 2pr Coot, 1pr Oystercatcher, c10 Lapwing, 3 Snipe, 6 Redshank, 8+ Meadow Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail, 12+ Pied Wagtail, 1 fem Wheatear & 1 male Reed Bunting.
Obviously the LRP's must have had their cloaking device on as none were seen, but it was good to meet Mick (one half of Nellieberta) & companion :t:

Next just a quick look around Shibdon Pond due to showers;- 4 Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting plus a few Goldeneye & a pair of Ruddy Duck on the pond.

Decided to give Lamesley another go and added these to this mornings list;- 3 Mallard, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Ruff (presumably the same three reported at Ravensworth Fell yesterday on Gatesheadbirders web-site) and the Wheatear showed again.

Last edited:
missed twice

Started a bit latter than normal this morning hoping the weather would clear up :-O
First port of call was Lamesley which produced the following;- 11 Greylag Geese, 14 Teal, 2 Red-legged Partridge, 2pr Coot, 1pr Oystercatcher, c10 Lapwing, 3 Snipe, 6 Redshank, 8+ Meadow Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail, 12+ Pied Wagtail, 1 fem Wheatear & 1 male Reed Bunting.
Obviously the LRP's must have had their cloaking device on as none were seen, but it was good to meet Mick (one half of Nellieberta) & companion :t:

Next just a quick look around Shibdon Pond due to showers;- 4 Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting plus a few Goldeneye & a pair of Ruddy Duck on the pond.

Decided to give Lamesley another go and added these to this mornings list;- 3 Mallard, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Ruff (presumably the same three reported at Ravensworth Fell yesterday on Gatesheadbirders web-site) and the Wheatear showed again.

we too where at lamesley twice today missed you both times 8 till 9 then 3.30ish till 4.30 must have just miss you 2nd time.. the ruff way over the far side of the fields hence very poor pics
ruff flew off about 4.15 redshank chasing each other around all day
we come here when its raining saves getting wet;)
we also never seen LRP

Attachments

• P1020581.JPG
    P1020581.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P1020583.JPG
    P1020583.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020575.JPG
    P1020575.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P1020578.JPG
    P1020578.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Visited Upper Teesdale 6-4-08 18 black grouse at the lec site and after dispersal 29 at least seen in the area. Plenty of redshanks, curlews, fewer snipe and some golden plover.
Highligt was a merlin in flight and perched up [ long enough to get some reasonable photos. This really is a terrific area and well worth the trip from East Yorkshire though this is the fist time I have been up this year.

Cheers Mike

Male Goshawk today over south west of Houghton-le-Spring headed in the direction of Rainton Meadows putting up good number of gulls from the school playing fields where of course they had gathered to feed because no kids to disturb them.

I was much happier they were disturbed by Gos rather than kids!

Wonder if this was the same bird noted inland of Seaham last week?

Single Wheatear between Witton Gilbert and Ushaw College this evening.

Attached are a few photos from yesterdays launch of the DBC Tern Raft at Barmston Pond, an excellent day was had by all especially as the weather was good.

B :)

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Image017.jpg
    Image017.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 88
North Gare - 3:00pm - SEO x1 showing well around the car park area. Just one Wheatear today - numerous Skylark and Meadow Pipit along the roadside over the saltmarsh. Redshank, Knot and Ringed Plover on the beach. Nothing at all on the sea.

Greenabella Marsh - Avocet x2 still - no sign of mating or any interest in nesting - in fact they were feeding on separate pools tonight apart from when having a nap. Also SEO x1 - another SEO over Cowpen Marsh. Bridled Guillemot in Greatham Creek itself - first time I've ever seen one on Teesmouth. Also Red-breasted Merganser c.12. Over Seal Sands approaching high tide Divers x6 - only Red-throated as far as I could make out. Also Common Scoter x1 and Great Crested Grebe x2. Curlew 40+, Shelduck 30+ and Redshank 30+ roosting on the ridge between Greenabella and Seal Sands. Black-tailed Godwit x4, Little Egret, Teal, Wigeon, Shelduck on the pools. Roe Deer x2.

Attachments

• IMG_4412ao.JPG
    IMG_4412ao.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4503ao.JPG
    IMG_4503ao.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4600ao.JPG
    IMG_4600ao.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4345bo.JPG
    IMG_4345bo.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4424ao.JPG
    IMG_4424ao.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 70
Escomb

Not very often I post on here but the following might be of interest:

7th April, 2008
(Escomb)
Plenty happening here this afternoon with Willow Warbler (1), Chiffchaff (10+), Sand Martin (50+), Meadow Pipit (8), Skylark (1), Green Woodpecker (1), Willow Tit (2), Reed Bunting (7), Grey Wagtail (2) and Swallow (2) being the pick of the birds seen today.

One bird that I am questioning is a 1st winter Goldeneye that was seen over a week ago. After seeing a picture of the Barrows Goldeneye in Ireland, I was prompted to visit Escomb again and the bird was once again here today. I have never seen a 1st winter barrows before and it is a tough one to call. Brown head with faded white cheek patch behind the bill, grey body with more predominent white markings than a common Goldeneye.

No picture as the bird was disturbed by dog walkers and flew off in the direction of Beechburn Gravel Pits / Low Barns.

I'm not saying that it was a Barrows Goldeneye as i have only ever seen the drake at Callander, but it may be worth having a look at any dodgy Goldeneyes should you visit the area.

Hope it gets found and identified, so I can say it was (or wasn't).

The Goldeneye in question was seen again this pm (8th) and managed to get closer views. Pretty confident that it is a first winter male Common Goldeneye in semi-eclipse plumage.

Last edited:
Male Goshawk today over south west of Houghton-le-Spring......<snip>............

Wonder if this was the same bird noted inland of Seaham last week?

an interesting one,
there been a selection of northern species on the English East coast in the past fortnight including Raven, Northern Bullfinch, Cranes, Hooded Crow etc....
maybe this hawks been headed that way too, but been beat back south west a bit by the snow...?

Multiple Local records of Gos every year now; from what i understand the vast majority of UK population live & nest in large tracts of commercial coniferous plantations......
I wonder if theres any evidence to suggest that these (predominantly upland) conifer woods have reached their carrying capacity & birds are moving down
to take advantage of a lowland larder stocked full with Corvids & Cushats..........?

an interesting one,
there been a selection of northern species on the English East coast in the past fortnight including Raven, Northern Bullfinch, Cranes, Hooded Crow etc....
maybe this hawks been headed that way too, but been beat back south west a bit by the snow...?

Multiple Local records of Gos every year now; from what i understand the vast majority of UK population live & nest in large tracts of commercial coniferous plantations......
I wonder if theres any evidence to suggest that these (predominantly upland) conifer woods have reached their carrying capacity & birds are moving down
to take advantage of a lowland larder stocked full with Corvids & Cushats..........?
I was reading a article in one of the bird watching mags about Goshawks,and it said Goshawks are starting to be seen in large city parks.As for the subject of migrating Goshawks it is mostly the juveniles that migrate, the adults remain close to their territories.

Last edited:
Single Wheatear between Witton Gilbert and Ushaw College this evening.

Attached are a few photos from yesterdays launch of the DBC Tern Raft at Barmston Pond, an excellent day was had by all especially as the weather was good.

B :)

Well done to all those concerned on such a worthwhile project :clap:

Teesmouth

Around 70 species seen today around Teesmouth.
Started off at Hartlepool with the Black Throated Diver near the Pier, single Guillemot and about 10 Purple Sandpipers still about, around 70 Eider and 20 Common Scoter also.
The Avocets were on the tidal pool near Greatham Creek, early afternoon, with 10 Black Tailed Godwits, 6 Grey Plover, 20 Mergansers, Red Throated Divers amongst others on Seal Sands.
Singles of Swallow and Sand Martin over Greenabella with plenty of Stock Dove, Snipe and 3 Roe deer about.
12 Pink Feet being stalked by a Fox on Back Salthome, loads of Meadow Pipits, Skylarks with a Little Egret also there.
Had a quick stop at Cowpen Bewley Tip where i managed to spot Juvenile Glaucous and Iceland Gulls.

Attachments

• tees 4 011.jpg
    tees 4 011.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 82
  • tees 2.jpg
    tees 2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 62
  • tees 4 013.jpg
    tees 4 013.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 77
  • tees1.jpg
    tees1.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Ta

Working in cumbria today :- A69 Buzzards x 9 and a single Yellow Legged Gull in the town centre.

Finished early and returned to local patch and pleased to see 3 Short Eared Owls c150 Golden Plover in full summer clobber, single Wheateater 20ish Linnet Several Yellow Hammer, Mipits, Fieldfares, Reed Buntings, Bullfinches, Shoveler and 12 Goldeneye on pool 2 and a pair of Ruddy on pool 4 amongst other stuff.

Thank YOU:t:

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park this morning Willow Warbler x8, Chiffchaff x5 and Kingfisher x1.

Dorman's Pool - 5:30pm-6:30pm - Linnet x6 singing by fenced car park. Roe Deer x1, Fox x1, Kestrel, Short-eared Owl, Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Stonechat and Skylark.

Not a great deal on the water - Northern Pintail c.16, Mute Swan x4, Coot, Moorhen, Teal, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose.

In the garden this afternoon - Siskin x2 - first time we've ever had any in April.

Attachments

• IMG_5226ao.JPG
    IMG_5226ao.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5344ao.JPG
    IMG_5344ao.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5380ao.JPG
    IMG_5380ao.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5419ao.JPG
    IMG_5419ao.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 63
Spent a pleasant hour this afternoon around Marsden, mainly watching the fulmars, including one pair getting very amorous. Had hoped for a sandwich tern or two, but didn't see any. Couple of meadow pipits along the cliff top. Counted 15 razorbill on the sea off Souter Lighthouse and nine on the cliff-face. Cormorants very active bringing in nesting material.

Malcolm

Attachments

• fulmars.jpg
    fulmars.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 66
  • fulmars mating.jpg
    fulmars mating.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 70
  • fulmar.jpg
    fulmar.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 58
  • fulmar flying.jpg
    fulmar flying.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 58
A few shots from Hartlepool Headland and Seal Sands today.

2 BT Divers and GC Grebe at the headland but no sign of the RN Grebe.

Attachments

• _MG_4572.jpg
    _MG_4572.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_4581.jpg
    _MG_4581.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_4605.jpg
    _MG_4605.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_4706.jpg
    _MG_4706.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_4739.jpg
    _MG_4739.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 85
Up on the moors near Egglestone saw 4 Buzzards 3 Red Kites,a couple of Kestrels, Curlew and Red Grouse.Was a lovely sunny afternoon and not as cold as I expected.

Graham.

IMGP1840 photo.jpgIMGP1849 photo.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back