• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

just back from saltholme great views of LEO,s and 2 water rails chasing each other.Loads of widgeon,teal and curlew.This was my fist visit great site.Called into castle eden dene on my quest for the elusive green woodpecker no joy try again next week

Another Redpoll day again at Rainton Meadows, from about 9:30am-3pm.

No sign of any Arctics (not even a possible) until early afternoon, when we watched a bird that came in several times, that most of us thought was probably the same as yesterday's 'bird 2'. The general consensus was that this individual looked good for Arctic, though some of us questioned the extent & purity of its white rump, which wasn't easy to see until shortly before we left, when it did show its rump a couple of times (see my next post for images showing its rump). It also had a long thin streak on the utc's, and perhaps a couple of other very fine streaks that were hard to see (again, see my next post)

The following images are of this bird:

Attachments

• DSCF9699.JPG
    DSCF9699.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF9708.JPG
    DSCF9708.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF9748.JPG
    DSCF9748.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF9756.JPG
    DSCF9756.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF9768.JPG
    DSCF9768.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Images showing the bird's rump & utc's:

Attachments

• Redpoll1.jpg
    Redpoll1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Redpoll2.jpg
    Redpoll2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF9805.JPG
    DSCF9805.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF9801.JPG
    DSCF9801.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF9771.JPG
    DSCF9771.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Is anyone up for putting out a team for the South Tyneside Bird Race next weekend ? I know Andrew was getting his 20 Spotting Scopes lined up to watch Cleveland from the top of Souter Lighthouse :-O

Paul Dan

Further images of what was thought to be the same bird. It's not easy to be sure of this, with birds coming and going throughout the day, often with only moments to get onto them, let alone digiscope them.

Yesterdays 'bird 3', perhaps the most certain Arctic, was not seen at all today, though another bird with finer flank streaking than 'bird 2' was seen a couple of times late in the afternoon today. Unfortunately my photos of this bird are quite poor. I might post some of this bird later when I've had a play around with them.

Attachments

• Redpoll3.jpg
    Redpoll3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF9772.JPG
    DSCF9772.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF9743.JPG
    DSCF9743.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF9751.JPG
    DSCF9751.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF9752.JPG
    DSCF9752.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Long Eared Owl and Bittern at Saltholme

Saw bittern fly over and drop into reed beds just past the Wildlife View Point no chance of photo of it though. Toby found the owl first thing this morning and managed to digiscope it although quite difficult to photo. Didnt bother with the water rail as the hide was so full - better to give others the chance to view them.

Attachments

• LEO-1.jpg
    LEO-1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 124
Visit to Seal Sands area today.

Took another drive down to Teesside today and had a great visit.Highlights were

RSPB Saltholme
2 Leos on show at watching area,missed a Bittern (again), :-C , by minutes as it dropped into reeds at Haverton Hill Hole,Water Rail at Wildlife watchpoint.

Greatham Creek
Approx 20 Common Seals,Widgeon and Teal.

Seal Sands
Black Necked Grebe(saw 1 but 2 seen earlier in the day),Goldeneye and 4 Mergansers.Set off for the hide at Long drag when heard a Kestrel in full complaint mode, brilliant views of it mobbing a SEO (which seemed well p***** off by the attention !) before eventually flying north over the creek onto Greenabella Marsh.Whilst I was there,friendly folk from the area,certainly some members of Teesmouth Bird Club,told me a Ring-necked Duck had just been seen at Dormans Pool,I tagged along and saw it literally 20 metres away. Thanks guys !
Think I will try closer to home tomorrow and spend some time at Rainton to try and catch the (for me) elusive Bittern and who knows an Arctic Redpoll !!

A great day out today and met loads of friendly birders.:t:

Houghton Local Patch

Wide variety noted around the patch today as per usual, including:-

Arctic, Mealy & Lesser Redpolls, Scaup, Water Rail, Mandarin, Long-eared Owl, Waxwing, Gooseander, Peregrine, Tree Sparrow, Kingfisher, Whooper Swan, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Goldeneye etc etc etc

I went out on foot at 3pm & managed to see 41 species for my assorted year lists.

Highlights being a good view of a Bittern & roosting Long-eared Owl

As the light faded, a pair of Leos commencing their breeding cycle -
Dueting, male hooting while female called from a likey nest area.
There was some limited wing clapping & two pursuits after roosting thrushes.

As i came away, the local 'shutters' posed infront of their vehicles headlamps for digi images, with a big dog Fox they'd bagged.

I also noticed a certain "Sunderland Year Lister" on the hill top & he seemed to be signalling to me quite strongly that he'd see two of something.....
or was it a 'V' for victory.... :smoke:

Attachments

• Leo_1_JAN_2011-Leo1.gif
    Leo_1_JAN_2011-Leo1.gif
    188.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Arctic Redpoll

Anyone unfamiliar with the Rainton area & looking on the Ordnance Survey map, may find themselves confused with the use of "Rye Hill" by some observers to denote one of the feeding locations.

The nature reserve was formerly known as Rye Hill Opencast Coal Site, although Rye Hill is way off the reserve, 1,500 metres to the SW.

Thankfully "Redpoll Hilll ;) " or Nicholsons Hill as it is known locally, is only a short walk, straight up the slope from the nature reserve car park.

MAP: Redpoll Hill & couple of other local birds.

Last edited:
Wide variety noted around the patch today as per usual, including:-

Arctic, Mealy & Lesser Redpolls, Scaup, Water Rail, Mandarin, Long-eared Owl, Waxwing, Gooseander, Peregrine, Tree Sparrow, Kingfisher, Whooper Swan, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Goldeneye etc etc etc

I went out on foot at 3pm & managed to see 41 species for my assorted year lists.

Highlights being a good view of a Bittern & roosting Long-eared Owl

As the light faded, a pair of Leos commencing their breeding cycle -
Dueting, male hooting while female called from a likey nest area.
There was some limited wing clapping & two pursuits after roosting thrushes.

As i came away, the local 'shutters' posed infront of their vehicles headlamps for digi images, with a big dog Fox they'd bagged.

I also noticed a certain "Sunderland Year Lister" on the hill top & he seemed to be signalling to me quite strongly that he'd see two of something.....
or was it a 'V' for victory.... :smoke:

No, it was to tell you that Sunderland were winning 2-0!!!

In pursuit of a R-n Duck, where's Dorman's Pool, please.

Hi Gordon, see here. You can see RSPB Saltholme in development on the far left. View from either X. You can drive right up to the one on the right, which IMO gives better views over most of the pool. The other one is a viewing screen you walk to from the roadside carpark. 4th time lucky, fingers crossed...

Attachments

• Dormans.jpg
    Dormans.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Yesterday it was on the smaller pool next to the cross on the right of the view. There is a large sign saying Teesmouth Bird Club memebrs with passes only - I was invited yesterday by some members who I had talked with at Seal Sands. To be honest though the road has open access and I think from what I saw that anyone seems to drive in !

Anyone unfamiliar with the Rainton area & looking on the Ordnance Survey map, may find themselves confused with the use of "Rye Hill" by some observers to denote one of the feeding locations.

The nature reserve was formerly known as Rye Hill Opencast Coal Site, although Rye Hill is way off the reserve, 1,500 metres to the SW.

Thankfully "Redpoll Hilll ;) " or Nicholsons Hill as it is known locally, is only a short walk, straight up the slope from the nature reserve car park.

MAP: Redpoll Hill & couple of other local birds.

I'm hoping to go to Rainton Meadows on Tuesday, as I have a rare day free of work and family commitments.:t:

I was just wondering: is it best to hang around the area indicated and wait for the redpolls to turn up, or just wander around in the hope of connecting with them?

I'm not very familiar with the reserve, so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Malcolm

I was just wondering: is it best to hang around the area indicated and wait for the redpolls to turn up, or just wander around in the hope of connecting with them?

It would appear that at present it is best to stand ontop of the hill and simply wait until the birds come over to feed and you get a chance to view them.

At least 3 birds present, including a 1st winter bird. Whether this is a true Arctic or not remains to be seen but its a very good candidate that we think is an Arctic. Images can be seen above by Steve Cliffton of the bird I am talking about. I will probably be there on Tuesday so see you there maybe:t:

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back