• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dutch bird ID's (1 Viewer)

Oscar0906

Hi,

Can someone help me with these ID's?

Oscar

Attachments

• SAM_0005 - kopie.JPG
    SAM_0005 - kopie.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 66
  • SAM_0007 - kopie.JPG
    SAM_0007 - kopie.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 46
  • SAM_0081 - kopie.JPG
    SAM_0081 - kopie.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 64
  • SAM_0102.JPG
    SAM_0102.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 72
  • SAM_0109.JPG
    SAM_0109.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 74
Hello Oscar,
first three birds are Tree Pipits.
Is the flying bird the same as the sitting Terre Pipit(s)?
Last bird is a female Redstart. Please note orange-red tail, the right body colours and quite open facial expression due to paler face with makes the eye stand out more clearly than in Black Redstart. Similar Nightingale has for example different shaped bill.

quote Alexander: "quite open facial expression due to paler face with makes the eye stand out"

Hallo, Alexander, Oscar, wonderful editing, this, I love it! It is often difficult to share one's own identification aids (we call them "ezelsbruggetjes" in Dutch, = donkey bridges) with others, but I can stress this part: a big eye like a bead, which is peculiar to all smaller thrush-related and flycatcher species. It makes them more "approachable" or "sweeter in appearance", so to speak. This reminds me of a special species: the Garden Warbler. Specific for this bird is that is has no special marks, just the grey back of the neck can help in identification, and precisely, that lacking of everything else! (yes, the song, like a "turbo-blackbird", but that's another item).
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Yes Jan, thank you. Thats what makes forums like this so educating for me. I learn so much from others.

But an other thing: I came back and looked at the flying bird and the strange feeling hasnt gone. I know, it has to be a Tree Pipit, the other pictures dont lie.

But: I must admit, that first impression was: its a Skylark, isnt it? But wait, its a pitfall picture, single picture effect, blurred (as always no offense):
so I wait for smarter people to explain why its a Tree Pipit, because the strange "Skylark-feeling" hasnt gone.

Thank you both for your response. Like Jan said: I especially appreciate the explanation. I postmy pictures here mainly because I want to be able to recognise them myself the next time (I keep finding that hard with species I never before encountered).

As for the flying bird: although I saw it close to the tree pipits, it really is a different bird (1-2, 3 and 4 are seperate birds). I have one more picture which I will upload (although I am afraid they aren't any better). Maybe that will help?

In any case, thanks a lot for the help

Oscar

Attachments

• SAM_0103 - kopie.JPG
    SAM_0103 - kopie.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 36
Hi Alexander, the picture of the flying bird offers hardly any clue in itself, but I imagine that there is a logical sequence: although Oscar did not tell us, I suppose he took pictures of the sitting Tree Pipit and did so when the bird sailed up for its song flight. You can almost hear it with such a series . . . (that's no science, I know ;^)
Cheers, schönen Grusz aus Holland! Jan van der Brugge

Hi Oscar, while submitting my reaction, I saw your answer. You and the birds did not behave as I sketched . . .!
However, I'm afraid my help will stop here . . .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back