• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dutch Birding taxa names 2009 (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Dutch Birding 31 (1) includes the annual round-up of WP taxonomical changes recognised by DB.

• Anser middendorffii is split from A fabalis as Middendorff's Bean Goose.
  • Oceanodroma monteiroi is split from O castro as Monteiro's Storm Petrel.
  • Grant's Storm Petrel is also recognised as a species but remains unnamed for the time being.
  • Anhinga rufa is split from A melanogaster as African Darter.
  • Casmerodius albus is renamed Western Great Egret (to reflect split of C modestus).
  • Threskiornis aethiopica is renamed African Sacred Ibis (to reflect split of T bernieri).
  • Tyto alba is renamed Western Barn Owl (to reflect split of T javanica).
  • Athene glaux [including 'saharae' (synomymised with glaux), indigena & lilith] is split from A noctua as Lilith's Owl.
  • Luscinia megarhynchos hafizi Eastern Nightingale is renamed L m golzii.
  • Zoothera sibirica is reassigned to Geokichla.
  • Sylvia subalpina is split from S cantillans as Moltoni's Warbler.
  • Lanius elegans is split from L meridionalis (now monotypic) as Desert Grey Shrike.
  • Sturnus sturninus is reassigned to Agropsar.
  • Sturnus roseus is reassigned to Pastor.
Richard

Last edited:
It was quite interesting having to dig up older names in Dutch for species that aren't split under the BOU when I was writing that book. Any idea if anyone else agrees with the placement of several Hippolais warblers into Acrocephalus?
I know that a lot of the at-the-time surprising splits the CSNA make are accepted by other authorities, but I still like the joke about the Dutch splitting male and female Blackcap...

Most steps aren't too surprising, although I hadn't expected their nightingale split. I wasn't too impressed by the distinctness of golzii (a.k.a. hafizi) when I heard them.

Acrocephalus v Hippolais

Any idea if anyone else agrees with the placement of several Hippolais warblers into Acrocephalus?
This is implemented by, eg, Wassink & Oreel 2007 (The Birds of Kazakhstan), but I'm not aware of any other authority or non-Dutch author following this move.

Richard

Edit: But Dickinson 2003 (H&M3) placed caligata, rama & pallida in Iduna.

Last edited:
Athene glaux

Most steps aren't too surprising...
I was rather surprised that the split of Lilith's Owl includes indigena and glaux. König & Weick 2008 splits lilith alone, and supports this by noting that lilith locally occurs sympatrically with indigena and glaux.

Richard

Last edited:
Phylloscopus occisinensis

One other Palearctic split in the same issue:

Phylloscopus occisinensis (split from P affinis by Martens et al 2008) is given the name West Chinese Leaf Warbler - which could unfortunately suggest that it has been split from P yunnanensis.​

Richard

Last edited:
Lanius meridionalis

So how many species do they count now in the excubitor complex ?
Four: excubitor, meridionalis, elegans & pallidirostris.

The recognition of L elegans is justified thus:

"Gonzales et al (2008) concluded that the Canary Islands subspecies of Southern Grey Shrike, L m koenigi, is not conspecific with the European nominate L m meridionalis. In addition, they found that L m koenigi does not differ genetically from the North African subspecies L m algeriensis. Although relationships between other (former) subspecies of L meridionalis in Africa and the Middle East are still being investigated, it can be concluded that the European species (which breeds in southern France and Iberia) is monotypic. Pending further research, other taxa can best be regarded as subspecies of Desert Grey Shrike L elegans.

Gonzales, J, Wink, M, Garcia-del-Rey, E & Castro, G D 2008. Evidence from DNA nucleotide sequences and ISSR profiles indicates paraphyly in subspecies of Southern Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis). J Ornithol 149: 495-506."​

There is no retraction of DB's existing recognition of L pallidirostris.

Richard

Phylloscopus occisinensis (split from P affinis by Martens et al 2008) is given the name West Chinese Leaf Warbler - which could unfortunately suggest that it has been split from P yunnanensis.​

Richard

A worthy contender for "worst named recently split bird of the month award". ;)

It's the name proposed by Martens in that article. Of course, Germans don't mind such long names (as this name would consist of just two words in German), but it is confusing in English (especially if you hate hyphens). Its only redeeming feature is that it's easy enough to remember from the scientific name (unlike Chinese for yunnanensis).

Phylloscopus occisinensis

It's the name proposed by Martens in that article... Its only redeeming feature is that it's easy enough to remember from the scientific name.
OK - I hadn't noticed that an English name was proposed in the original paper (which, for some reason, I can't access today). But of course, as you say, it accurately reflects the scientific name.

Richard

Dutch Birding 31 (1) includes the annual round-up of WP taxonomical changes recognised by DB.

<snip>

• Luscinia golzii is split from L megarhynchus as Eastern Nightingale.
<snip>

Richard

Richard, just to clarify, the Dutch haven't split Eastern Nightingale yet - its inclusion in this year's paper is just to indicate that its scientific name has changed, and it's still listed on p36 as a subspecies of L. megarhynchos

Steve

Luscinia megarhynchos golzii

...I hadn't expected their nightingale split. I wasn't too impressed by the distinctness of golzii (a.k.a. hafizi) when I heard them.
Richard, just to clarify, the Dutch haven't split Eastern Nightingale yet - its inclusion in this year's paper is just to indicate that its scientific name has changed, and it's still listed on p36 as a subspecies of L. megarhynchos

Steve
Steve, you're right - DB does indeed just correct the scientific name of Eastern Nightingale from L m hafizi to L m golzii. Apologies to all (especially Xenospiza), but it is Friday the 13th!

Richard

PS: I've corrected my first posting to avoid further confusion.

Last edited:
About Geokichla

About Geokichla:
Zoothera sibirica is reassigned to Geokichla
We have talked about it here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1303351

A 2008 article says:
The type, by original designation, is Turdus citrinus, which is included in our focal clade (Geokichla. citrina; Müller, 1835, in Mayr & Paynter, 1964). We therefore recognize Geokichla as the valid (genus name?)
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121372679/abstract .
Check out the supplemental stuff.
In Moore & Horsfield’s A Catalogue of the Birds in the Museum of the Hon. East-India Company they state that Geocichla is from H. Kuhl’s Conspectus psittacorum 1820. They put Latham’s Turdus citrinus in Geocichla.
Kuhl name Turdus interpres was used by Temminck in Pl. Col.; Moore and Horsfield consider it Geocichla interpres, Kuhl.

Müller, while describing a new species,(?) his Myiothera loricata now Napothera marmorata, he mentions: Tusschen them and that sex is the genus Geo-kichla BOIE, which Turdus citrinus Lath. the type is. (Tusschen means to stow lightly in low Dutch?)
Richmond has a card for Geo-kichla by Macklot 1830 Bijdr.Natuurk.Wetensch. 5 St.1 p.175 he says it is nomen nudem. He says that it was not indicated as new by Macklot. (Probably because it was an emendation of Geocichla?) Notice the hyphen in both of the Boie and Macklot names. But Macklot capitalizes Kichla. It means ground thrush, or better Ground-Thrush. Unfortunately Kuhl’s Conspectus psittacorum 1820is not online.
Macklot’s Geo-Kichla:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8w...0Y0hMQYCdNajTH&client=firefox-a#PRA1-PA175,M1 . page 175 .
Heinrich Christian Macklot (1799 - 1832) a German naturalist.
Coenraad Jacob Temminck sent Macklot with Heinrich Boie and Salomon Müller to Asia to collect specimens for the Natural history museum of Leiden. Macklot visited New Guinea and the island of Timor from 1828 to 1830 on board Triton.
Heinrich Boie (May 4, 1784 - September 4, 1827) So Boie and Macklot were dead in 1836 when the Muller article was published. I am pretty sure it is 1836 not 1835.
Dr Salomon Müller (1804 - 1864) a German naturalist.
In 1823 Müller, along with Heinrich Boie and Heinrich Christian Macklot, was sent by Coenraad Jacob Temminck to collect specimens in the East Indies. Müller visited Indonesia in 1826, New Guinea and Timor in 1828, Java in 1831 and Sumatra between 1833 and 1835.
Muller’s Geo-kichla
http://books.google.com/books?id=Dx...+Geschiedenis"&lr=&client=firefox-a#PPA348,M1 . page 349
So why is Geokichla used rather than Geocichla of Kuhl?

So why is Geokichla used rather than Geocichla of Kuhl?
I haven't seen Kuhl's work either, but there must have been a problem there because, otherwise, Geocichla Kuhl, 1820, would have had priority over Zoothera Vigors, 1832, from the beginning.
Waterhouse (1889) attributes a number of psittacid genera to Kuhl's Conspectus psittacorum, yet when it comes to Geocichla, he has it as "Kuhl [teste Gould, P.Z.S. 1836, p. 7]." This suggests Moore & Horsfield's citation may have been in error - Geocichla Kuhl may have been a manuscript name, not published in the Conspectus psittacorum. (In this case it would have the potential to be available from Gould [1836], and the question might be whether this was published before or after Müller's work [1835/36].)
Incidentally, it'd indeed be a bit odd to have a thrush genus introduced in a monograph about parrots... (Though not fully impossible, of course.)

Laurent -

PS -
Müller, while describing a new species,(?) his Myiothera loricata now Napothera marmorata, he mentions: Tusschen them and that sex is the genus Geo-kichla BOIE, which Turdus citrinus Lath. the type is. (Tusschen means to stow lightly in low Dutch?)
"Tusschen" is an old spelling for "tussen" = "between". The word "geslacht", translated above as "sex", also has several other meanings among which "clan, ethnic group, race, tribe", and may be a synonym of "genus".
L -

Geslacht indeed is the Dutch word for genus.

Some terrible google translation going on – just write the Dutch and I'll happily translate it into something intelligible!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back