• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-bird in China (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi all,

I keep meaning to post here and ask for help. Is there anyone that has had success using the e-bird phone app in the field in China? I would like to use it as I see birds, but always have lots of problems with the location. I always have so many problems in trying to start the record (related to VPN I guess) that I end up giving it up.

If the app can be used solely with gps, you don’t need any phone / mobile internet connection at all. That’s how I used my prefered app (IObs) in Cuba and India without making any connection with local networks, at all, resulting in many sightings logged with accuracy of 5-10 meters, in forests and places far away from any mobile phone reception. I guess ebird works the same way?

The problem in China is that eBird uses Google maps for locations but Google is banned in China. I have spoken to eBird about this in the past and I think they've looked into possible ways to resolve it, but have not yet done so.

You may be able to get around this problem if you are able to set up a 'dummy list' when you are not in the field (you can do this without submitting the list), and then collect the field data offline (there should be an option for "Create Offline Checklist") using the dummy list as a template ("Use Recent Checklist"). Hopefully this should mean that you are able to collect and submit data. If you still don't have the correct location, you can hopefully correct this online after submission.

I have used eBird in the field in China many times in the past including mapping the locations using only GPS to track location (partly to save on roaming charges!)

If you are able to collect data, it would be really useful. There is a real lack of data in eBird from most of China, and all data would help to understand the birds there better.

Gretchen,
I live in China (Guangxi) and I have been using the iPhone eBird mobile app on an iPhone 7 successfully for more than a year here. Without using a VPN I have been able to use all the main functions, including plotting new locations, recording tracks, etc.

Mike

I use android app and no vpn needed.
only back at home on laptop I need vpn to load the Google map.
But ebird app needs you to have Googleplay set in your android phone so vpn is needed by then.

BirdLasser is another option. I use it in Tanzania. It accurately tracks GPS for each entry. China is a selectable option and export of data to eBird should be possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back