• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics say Nikon SE is back for 2009 (1 Viewer)

I keep on dreaming in a 15X60SE with better eyecups than the rest the rest of the serie and the focusing wheel at the Zeiss 15X60 way.

Fernando

Steve, I'm not been able to insert a pic of the Zeiss 15X60. So, here it's one
http://www.company7.com/zeiss/binoculars/1560bga.html . Yes, under the bridge. In my experience this unnusual configuration is better for heavy binoculars when holding by hand. The centers of mass and of your wrists are in the same verticals. When I've used these binoculars, the focusing with the middle fingers feels easy.

Fernando, I have never used the Zeiss. I think I have read that some people didn't like where the focus wheel is located. There was an older style one of these in a bargain sheet paper one time, but I never went to see it.
Regards,Steve

Steve, you can't always all. When a tripod is involved, I'd prefer the focus wheel on the face side in the more common way. But one time you're suporting them by hand, believe me, it helps. You can't get all.

Now I'm more happy than ever that I bought both the 8x32 and 10x42 SE over the past year. I know some have blackout issues with the SEs, but lucky for me, I don't. The 8x32SE is, right now, my favorite all time bin. Get one while you can folks.
John

I'm the happy owner of a 10x35 EII. All this talk about the SE probably disappearing makes me wonder whether I should get an SE ASAP. What would I be missing out on if I decide to remain "SE-less"?

And perhaps to wind up this thread is this blog post from EO on March 17th

http://www.eagleopticsblog.com/2009/03/17/nikon-superior-se-not-extinct-yet/

8×32 Nikon Superior E

Another binocular that customers have long raved about is the discontinued 8×32 Nikon Premier SE. We quickly sold out a limited supply of this great porro prism bino earlier this year, and we have only four more on the way from Nikon.

Not extinct in the same way the Passenger Pigeon was not extinct on August 30th 1914 ;)

I also have the Monty Python Parrot sketch running through my mind ...

Rich and Henry thanks for the update on the information. So I guess by 2003 the 8-16x40 XL Zoom was gone. I wish Nikon had made a 10-22x50 XL zoom to the same standards as the 8-16x40.

Regards,Steve
Steve, you must be a human tripod if you could handhold a 22x binocular steady. And add a 2.27mm exit pupil and I don't think the view will look that great IMHO.

Joe

Hi Joe, The zoom I had to use was Brock's Nikon XL 8-16x40 and if I remember right I used about 12x. I just thought a very good 10-22x50 zoom binocular would be nice to have, using a rest or tripod of course.:)
Regards,Steve

My guess is that the "LX" issue is just a typo. I cannot imagine that they would go back two steps instead of just one. I do agree that it is a brilliant marketing move to keep a second tier (price only) premium bin in their lineup.

To beat a dead horse (a proverbial one, no animals were harmed during the making of this post :), going back to the LX wouldn't be two steps backward, IMO, at least not optically.

I've owned both LXs and LX Ls, and I still have my LX, because the optics are clearly better.

But Nikon hasn't resurrected the Led Zeppelin LX line. They are using "Premier" now for the LX L like they used "Criterion" to describe their top of the line porros of yesteryear (the "Glory Days").

I haven't tried an EDG yet, but hope to this spring when my friend Steve and I voyage out to the Amish Shoe Store.

From Henry Link's description of the 7x42 EDG he tried, the EPs seem to be identical or very similar to the LX/LX Ls.

I expect a lot of "rolling ball" on the full sized models, but hopefully, a lot less in the mid-sized models like my 8x32 LX.

However, with the hefty price tag on the EDG (which I have nicknamed the "HEDGE" since the price is best suited for hedge fund managers :), I'm hoping they will also have a Monarch X to compare.

I wouldn't expect the ergonomics to be as good, because of the centerpost, which seems to defeat the purpose of the open-bridge design, but they are priced better for my non-recession-proof wallet.

I will take my 8x32 SE, 8x32 EII, and 8x32 LX with me to compare with the new arrivals, and hope that my old line up compares so well that I will only walk away with a new pair of boots (and a sho-fly pie :)

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back