• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owls at Dunsop Bridge (1 Viewer)

Jack Daw

Therapy of the green leaf
Just returned from a fantastic day over at Dunsop Bridge directions pretty easy to follow once there - but actually getting to the site from the A65 - well that was an amazing feat of navigation in itself. At the site the Eagle Owls showed amazingly well I was absolutely stunned by the these birds !! Very lucky to see the male in flight and also a juvenile bird too. How any one can say that these birds do not have a place in our avifauna beats me !! Also in the vicinity Raven, Dipper and Spotted Flycatcher.
A superb day many thanks to the Lancashire Council Ranger Service and the folks up there who gave directions as to where the birds were.
P.S Was the walk only 4kms felt like 40 - especially the last up hill section that was a killer ! Well no pain no gain!
Regards Jack

Can I assume these birds are resident in the area?
If so I was planning to visit next Saturday, will they still be there?
Thanks.

They apear to be hanging round the nest site Gaz. I saw one adult and one fledgling yesterday. I was told that the others are dispersed around the hillside. Hard to say how long they will stick around.

As you say Jack, quite a walk but worth it. I always find it more tiring on tarmac than offroad though.

One of the footpaths through the area has now been closed, not too keen on dogs apparently, so may be worth checking your intended route. Sounds like the birds are becoming agitated due to so much disturbance.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back