• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle sp, Lake Kerkini, Greece (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I was told in the field that this bird was a dark phase Booted Eagle Hieraaetus pennatus but I wondered it it was a Lesser Spotted Eagle Clanga pomarina .
Lake Kerkini, Greece, 20.06.23R10Z_009614.jpgR10Z_009625.jpg

Hello Paul,
I agree with you and Butty.
The paler parts in the wings, ghosting some kind of Booted Eagle look alike pattern ( but not the same)is the result of different generation feathers, the paler ones are worn and bleached. so it’s an immature bird, thanks Tom again!

And I agree with you both, it looks like a Lesser Spotted Eagle or me too.

It’s a Spotted Eagle, some immature traits left indeed, but I have some mixed feelings about the species: is that iris yellow? Small bill but no double crescent, rather dark bird and barring seems to stop well before tip on inner primaries in right wing…
Either LSE and photo artefacts or hybrid
Thanks tconzemi - I will see if I have any better photos (or can get any details out of the shadows for the eye)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back