• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Europe ...Lithuania, a birder's tale. (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Having posted on this little known corner of Europe for a good few seasons, I have finally got round to merging the various threads, so here reads a personal history of birding through the seasons from late 2004 til present, spectacular springs and autumns, summers of birds and winters of plunging temperatures.

Last edited:
A tale of predation, a chill ending!

Twas a night of minus ten, snow on the ground. Much as expected, the local patch was on the verge of being totally frozen over - nought much more til March now.

Last birds to flee the area each year are the Mute Swans and White-tailed Eagles and as the waters freeze over the eagles turn their attention to the swans. Seen this twice before in the little window between total ice cover and the final departure of all birds, but today's spectacle was something special.

Arrived today to see a single White-tailed Eagle sitting on the ice and 138 Mute Swans on the tiniest patch of ice-free water. Then the story began - a second eagle managed to down an immature swan that was waddling across the ice. Two more eagles soon joined in, the demise of the swan providing lunch aplenty, soon too a Raven ventured over. Next came a fox, trotting across the ice and, though somewhat dwarfed by the eagles, flushed them and began to tuck in. Soon two more eagles joined in, snatching morsals along side the fox. Not over yet - another fox came cantering out the reeds, plus an assortment of corvids! End tally - five White-tailed Eagles, two foxes, one Raven, three Magpies and couple of Hooded Crows!!!
Six Snow Buntings flew over!

Watched for almost an hour, eventually the foxes departing back to the reeds with chunks of the very ex-swan, leaving the eagles to regain the kill.

Later saw another three foxes in the meadows and a Stone Martin along a track, plus a Goshawk ...not bad day for so late in the year.

Winning the award for worst photo of the year, I nethertheless include a snap for you to get a feel of the spectacle - was snowing a bit, too far out on the lake for good photo and I didn't have proper photo stuff with me ...just handheld my SLR against the scope - well, that's my excuse for the poor photo anyhow :)
Little dot on the left is a Magpie, then a Raven, in flight between the foxes is an adult White-tailed Eagle and over on the right is a young bird.

Attachments

• Carnage-thumb.jpg
    Carnage-thumb.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 963
Last edited:
Jos, reading your description and looking at your wonderful photo absolutely took my breath away! An amazing spectacle, thanks for sharing it.

Nerine

wonderful story. It just goes to show that life goes on in the wild all the time and you have to be "out there" to see this type of exciting action. thanks.

A good photo Jos, it gives a real atmospheric feel to the scene, Nature at work.
bert.

Fascinating reading - got any more like that? Also makes me realise how lucky we are to keep our birds all year round

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading that story & the pic.
We had 2 Mutes stranded on ice today, but that story makes our cold, wet day seem tame by comparison. -4 degrees last night, but +12 now......
SE

Wow, Jos, fantastic observation and photo! I didn't even know you could just put a camera up to a scope with any results. Amazing. Once the birds leave, do you have regular winter mammals that visit?

A nice birding experience with foxes too! I was expecting you to say the Eagles came back to carry a fox away!!!

Wow. that's quite a day Jos,
Not the sort of thing I'm likely to see here, in your former area.
Apart from the Ravens of course, they're just the same.
Soaring temperatures today too.

Gerry Hooper said:
Soaring temperatures today too.

Oh ha ha! Been snowing all day here, well below freezing and I put my car in a ditch whilst trying to stop on a snowy road to look at some birds :) Also spun the car on a forest track, but did have a rather nice flock of 17 Rough-legged Buzzards on my local patch, all sitting in the snow-covered meadows.

Standard winter birding - driving offroad, usually spin or slid off the road at least once or twice a trip - needless to say, my car is not an object I care two hoots what it looks like :)

Fascinating story Jos. I've never seen a White-tailed Eagle catch anything, only seen them try and fail at Kittiwake colonies. So what remains during your winter besides corvids, woodpeckers and tits?

Winter seems to have to come to us both, in Lithuania and here on the Rock. Europe's premier summer wildfowl location of Mývatn in NE Iceland registered a November record low of -30 on Sunday morning, not sure what resident birds such as Barrow's Goldeneye, Ptarmigan, Gyr Falcon and Wren made of that! We even had -15 here in Reykjavík at the weekend and in that kind of weather you practically have to kick the Redwings out of the way at the entrance to the supermarket, they get so sluggish. It's turned tropical since though.

E

Edward said:
in Reykjavík... It's turned tropical since though.

E

Surely a slight exaggeration, Edward - or is global warming proceding faster than we thought?

Seriously, one of the things I most appreciate about BF is the reports from countries other than my own - great to compare what's going on.

So thanks Jos, Edward and everyone else!

james

Excellent account Jos, makes a change from watching the blue/great tits pottering around on the feeder in the garden...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back