• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Ontario, yellow warbler? (1 Viewer)

Sandra_ON

Good morning, I photographed this little bird this morning in Smiths Falls, Ontario. I'm pretty sure it's a yellow warbler but could it be a juvenile female maybe?

Appreciate your help.

Sandra

Attachments

• yellow warbler.jpg
    yellow warbler.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 67
As someone fairly inexperienced in the wood warblers I would suspect Nashville because of the eye ring. Is this a trick of the light caused by the angle of the photograph please?

Wilson’s warbler would have all black under the tail, which is very noticeable from the angle often observed (when standing below it in a tree). I don’t know that I have ever seen a Wilson’s Warbler lacking a black cap ie. a taiga female. The pacific race of Wilson’s Warblers seem to all have black caps regardless of sex. Nashville warbler would have white eye arcs or usually a complete eye ring, as well as a gray crown cap that is highly contrasting with the yellow throat (forming solid well defined boarders with the cheeks). Also they would have white around the vent area. Yellow warbler often have nice yellow eye rings like this even though it is not exemplified in many field guides.

Last edited:
Wilson’s warbler would have all black under the tail, which is very noticeable from the angle often observed (when standing below it in a tree). I don’t know that I have ever seen a Wilson’s Warbler lacking a black cap ie. a taiga female. The pacific race of Wilson’s Warblers seem to all have black caps regardless of sex. Nashville warbler would have white eye arcs or usually a complete eye ring, as well as a gray crown cap that is highly contrasting with the yellow throat (forming solid well defined boarders with the cheeks). Also they would have white around the vent area. Yellow warbler often have nice yellow eye rings like this even though it is not exemplified in many field guides.
This is another photo I took, don't know that it's any better.

Attachments

• warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 26
The only thing I can add to Tom's great points above is that Yellow Warbler's all-yellow cast to the tail above and below is unique to that species among the wood-warblers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back