• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ebws question and new lens time (1 Viewer)

What camera body are you putting on the 50-500mm Siggy.

When using this lens I would recommend tripod mounting it if intending to use the full 500mm as this will give greater stability, in very good light you probably won't need to do this.

As its a zoom lens it will suffer the same fate as most zooms that the top end of the zoom will become soft in the final image and a 'lot' of post production may need to be done on the pics. You may need to bring in the top end zoom to around 450mm, you will find out the optimum focal length for your particular lens.

Have fun with the new toy

I have the 150 - 500 and use it with a canon 7d. I don't find I need a tripod and I also find it's fine at full mag as long as the light is good or the subject is close.

Not good at full mag in poor light or if the subject is just that too far away but I think that's probably consistent with most zoom lenses. Can't afford a 500mm prime though and certainly couldn't carry it!o:)

The 150 -500mm is a nice lens IMHO.

D3100 camera with a meaty tripod, though the tripod is mainly used for the spotter scope.

Arlow, it is just that, I will be mucking about with this new toy asap!

Mersea walk! Nothing beats a lap of the island.

Dragging a certain sulky 18 year old with me as well

All 18 year olds are sulky...!

Could be worse, could be dressed as pikachu. That was the last time I pop to walton on the naze.

I just want my lens now!!!

Firstly the ebws seems to be down, do we know if its terminal?

There is a problem with the website. Accessing reports, which have already been submitted, seems to be working normally. Inputting observations is the issue. The inputs are accepted but veeeeery slowly. Submit the records of your observations. Then leave the terminal. Make yourself a cup of tea. (Pouring a beer is too quick.) By the time the tea is brewed, the site will have accepted the data and confirmed so doing. QED.

Dave

P.S. The site also confirms receipt of your observations.......three or four times for each. Very appreciative.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back