• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuadorian Amazon - Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl? (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
This is a small snip of audio taken from an ID video during a nocturnal amphibian survey. The call sounds in the first few seconds of the recording, and after reviewing all the expected owl species calls, I think i have found a fit in Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, which has been reported before in the region. Please let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 00286.mp3
    401.1 KB
Last edited:
Certainly a pygmy owl, and sounds reasonable for ferruginous. Are there any other pygmy owl candidates in the area?

(Calls differ by pitch and/or tempo. Ferruginous should be fairly easy to mimic, as one frequently does where it occurs to call up passerines)

Certainly a pygmy owl, and sounds reasonable for ferruginous. Are there any other pygmy owl candidates in the area?

(Calls differ by pitch and/or tempo. Ferruginous should be fairly easy to mimic, as one frequently does where it occurs to call up passerines)
Thanks for the feedback! The only other as far as I'm aware is Subtropical, and this species usually occurs at much higher elevations (>1100m, recording taken at approx 300m). Glad to hear I'm on the right track!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back