• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED Chinese Binocs on Ebay $200 (1 Viewer)

GreatNW

Anyone seen or know the story behind the $200 ED binoculars being sold by chinese sellers on ebay? Specs are kind of hard to totally decipher but they look like the Zen's, Atlas and Promasters.
I looked at quite a bit of feedback and didn't see anyone leaving feedback for a binocular.
I sure wouldn't want to put down $200 for a crap shoot with no product back up. But if you could get the generic version of any of the above for $200, well that's a different story.

OK, searching for "ED binoculars" turned up some "Sniper Series" binoculars. I assume this is what you meant. The field of view is much narrower than the Promast/Hawke/Zen-Ray that everyone is excited about. It's 6.5 deg for 8x42 and 5.4 for the 10x42. So, I don't think they're the same binoculars. It's anybody's guess how good they are. They say they have ED glass and phase correction. They'd be hard to return if you didn't like them.

This one looks familiar:

* Traditional low-throw technology, high transmittance XMC broadband coatings
* Professional prism and PC-phase coating, bright and clear imaging
* Flat-field eyepiece technical design, hand wheel adjustment, easy to use
* ED models, use low dispersion ED glasses to guarante and restore the natrue colors
* Magnification: 8X
* Objective Lens Diameter: 42mm / 1.65in
* Field of View: 430 ft @ 1000 yds
* Field of Angle: 8.2°
* Near Focus: 2.0m
* Prism Material: BAK4
* Coating: XMC
* Support Connection: Yes
* Exit Pupil: 18.0mm / 0.71in

ED Glass / Beware ?

I replied to a post awhile back to a similar Ebay listing( SNIPER SERIES BINOCULARS ) which mentioned ED Glass in their line of binoculars but when I e-mailed them & asked if indeed they had Ed glass they said no. They said you can request ED glass from them but the ones they have listed on ebay are not those. I think this is another case of slick advertisement. All they do is put the letters ED in the binocular name & thats enough to deceive all those who dont heed the phrase : IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE , Then guess What ? ........... BEWARE !!!!!!!!!! GWEN

Last edited:
I replied to a post awhile back to a similar Ebay listing( SNIPER SERIES BINOCULARS ) which mentioned ED Glass in their line of binoculars but when I e-mailed them & asked if indeed they had Ed glass they said no. They said you can request ED glass from them but the ones they have listed on ebay are not those. I think this is another case of slick advertisement. All they do is put the letters ED in the binocular name & thats enough to deceive all those who dont heed the phrase : IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE , Then guess What ? ........... BEWARE !!!!!!!!!! GWEN
I just checked the listings on Ebay : They still have the wording " ED series " in the desription. They don't have ED glass in them. ..... gwen

OK, searching for "ED binoculars" turned up some "Sniper Series" binoculars. I assume this is what you meant. The field of view is much narrower than the Promast/Hawke/Zen-Ray that everyone is excited about. It's 6.5 deg for 8x42 and 5.4 for the 10x42. So, I don't think they're the same binoculars. It's anybody's guess how good they are. They say they have ED glass and phase correction. They'd be hard to return if you didn't like them.

I also took a look at the auction listing for the "super sniper", now I am thinking
that includes many of the birders who frequent this forum, how many snipers are in the group. ;) Hong Kong seller, this one looks just like the Nikon EDG, and so I suppose they are thinking of trying to copy or clone is the sincerest form of flattery. No mention of warranty, for $200 or more, for this one, just forget about it. Buyer beware! :eek!:

Jerry

I agree, too flaky to spend any money, but if it is one of the factories selling a very similar item it becomes very attractive.
Like I said in the first post. Doesn't look to me like they have sold even one. Can't imagine anyone putting down $200 for that kind of bet.
BUT if anyone has, let us know please!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back