• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 and 27x MC - Use with a phone? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Really sorry for the stupid question. I have a Nikon ED50 and the 27x MC eyepiece. I picked that one as it’s used by all the family, so the good eye relief, wide f.o.v. and twisty eyecup makes it easy for everyone to use.

However we’d like to be able to take the odd photo through it with a phone. Nothing amazing quality - just as a reminder, or so multiple people can view the screen at the same time.

Do I need the DS eyepiece for this? I’ve looked online, and the official Nikon mount seems to be for Coolpix cameras, so do I need a 3rd party mount?

Or are there mounts that work with the MC eyepiece’s twisty cup?

Thanks!

D&C,

For the 'odd photo,' you don't need a DS eyepiece.

Leave the twisty eyecup up; turn on your phone's camera app; point the camera lens so it looks down onto/into the eyepiece and lower the phone to the eyepiece (follow the circle of light) so that the camera rests on the eyecup. Tap the image to focus/correct exposure, and take your picture. Edit in your app. It's fidgety (needs a bit jiggery/pokery if your British), but it will work with practice. It will seem like you need three hands at first...

For more extended use, try a digiscoping adapter like GoSky, Novograde, PhoneSkope. There's a forum thread for all of that.

As an example, here's an Eastern Bluebird image digiscoped through my Monarch ED 82, PhoneSkope adapter, with an android phone.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• original_1d360169-766f-4528-865a-a8942669256a_PXL_20210302_152342605 (1).jpg
    original_1d360169-766f-4528-865a-a8942669256a_PXL_20210302_152342605 (1).jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 29
The problem I have found with Nikon mounts is that there is a dazzling array of options which only fit specific Nikon cameras, the most recent mounts are very expensive. Older mounts can be found for fairly cheap on eBay, however, the Nikon cameras they fit are often old and dated models which go for silly prices on eBay (cheap for a camera but not cheap for their age!).

I also went for a mobile mount (Celestron NexYZ), it's work better on my DS eyepiece but can manage it with a bit of (jiggery-pokery!) With the MC eyepiece as previously suggested.

For the odd photo, a mobile phone mount would be a better option.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back