• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

72! I would have said that this would be about the limit of what is possible, but we missed many species possible scanning towards the estuary mouth: skuas, scoters, fulmar, kittiwake ... so maybe even 75 is not out of the question.
The HB was a by-product of spending the day staring in a northerly direction!

Rob

Magpies have been ever-present since last Monday, with 2 birds around. A male great spotted woodpecker has been a regular visitor to the feeders and roving tit flocks have contained both long-tailed tits and goldcrests.
The weekend was quite a productive one, with 62 species on Saturday and 64 yesterday, despite not really trying for a big total. Saturday's highlights included a record 11 curlew sandpipers, 2 spotted redshanks, a drake scaup, a pintail and the first jay of the year (118). Indeed for the first time ever all 5 corvids on the garden list were seen in a day.
Yesterday was notable for large goose passage with at least 1600 pinkfeet going over, whilst 24 brent geese visited the inner estuary briefly in the morning.
Scaup were up to at least 4 together with several tufties. Waders were excellent with at least 6 curlew sandpipers, 4 ruff, 3 spotted redshanks, 3 knot and the first sanderling of the year (119). The sanderling (a juvenile) caused mild panic as it was a very small individual, no bigger than the smallest dunlin!
More pinkfeet were streaming over this morning but they were preceded by a flock of 30 barnacle geese (120). That takes level with our worst year list to date.

Rob

Rob ,

There were 8 whooper swans came down into Balgove Bay yesterday afternoon about 3.00pm which I think are the first of the Winter into the Estuary.
Wheatear also still seem to be in evidence.

Richard

I got a chance to go down to your patch this morning and waht a great place it is. went to the eden estuary centre it has such a good view i also got to speak to eck. Was a really good morning for me as it was the first time i have seen a kingfisher, also saw redshank, spotted redshank, lapwing, oystercatcher, golden plover, grey wagtail, little grebe, shelduck, curlew, grey plover, mute swans, mallards, red breasted mergansers (i think) plenty of gulls and 5 geese flew overhead i think they where barnacle geese forgot to ask eck

will definatly be going back again

Hi djnd2 ,

Glad you enjoyed it , the mergansers would be goosanders I suspect as there has been a regular half dozen or more for some weeks now. For me the 2 hrs before high tide are best and a close 2nd the two hrs after.

Better not to hog Rob's thread , I'am in the hide regulalrly and follow Robs posts avidly to keep in touch when I'm not there.

Maybe bump into you in the hide soon.

Regards
Richard

At last an update. Away with work last weekend, then struck down by a flu bug during the week. Anyone who was at the SOC meeting on Wednesday would have seen me wilting during the evening. Still not fully recovered but have deadlines to meet ...
The first greylags of the Autumn have arrived - 19 roosted last night. A few interesting ducks yesterday with a pair of shovelers and a party of 12 aythyas (5 scaup, 7 tufties). Mergansers have now become a bit more numerous than goosanders. Golden plover numbers have risen sharply and now stand in the region of 1500. At least 2 curlew sandpipers are still around but our chances of little stint for this year are receding. There were still 2 spotted redshanks around yesterday.
Lesser black-backs have largely departed, with perhaps only a single bird remaining. The great spotted woodpecker is still around, though I haven't seen it on the feeder lately. There were two star passerines yesterday - a nice male stonechat and a treecreeper, whilst both Saturday and Sunday were 5 corvid days. The 2 magpies are still much in evidence and jays are once again visible over the other side of the airfield.

Rob

More of the same really. A good day on Saturday with over 60 spp. seen.
Greylag numbers now up to 47 and 2 pale-bellied brents gave excellent views during the week. Shoveler still around and 2 pintail yesterday, whilst wigeon numbers have increased sharply. A single duck scaup was around on Saturday and again this morning.
There were still 2 spotted redshanks on Saturday along with a ruff, whilst yesterday produced 11 greenshanks and a curlew sandpiper along with perhaps 2000 golden plovers. A dead seal (? - very dead!) has proved attractive to great black-backs, though no sign of an ivory gull yet!
Both magpies and jays persist (4 of the latter yesterday) . A rock pipit on Saturday was first definite record of the autumn, whilst at least 3 swallows went through on Saturday. A kingfisher gave nice views over high tide.

Rob

Glad you like it.
Things getting a bit more wintry, with my first whooper swans of the winter and greylag numbers up to 126 yesterday morning. However otherwise it's more of the same with a spotted redshank around yesterday along with 18 greenshanks. Bizarrely a pair of peregrines was sat in a field across the estuary yesterday morning. A merlin flew over Leuchars on Thursday morning.
A treecreeper was in the garden on Saturday and both jays and magpies continue to be seen.

Rob

At last an addition to the yearlist with a distant covey of grey partridges yesterday afternoon (121). Other weekend highlights included the first slav grebes and long-tailed ducks of the autumn and a pair of scaup on both Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday was another 5 corvid day.

Rob

A bizarre event this morning. I went out to restock the feeders and a bird flew up from under my feet. Before it landed I twigged that the combination of long tail, wingbars and streaky plumage meant treecreeper! It had clearly flown into the conservatory window. It crept up a poplar and then sat still enabling me to get some photos.

Rob

A bizarre event this morning. I went out to restock the feeders and a bird flew up from under my feet. Before it landed I twigged that the combination of long tail, wingbars and streaky plumage meant treecreeper! It had clearly flown into the conservatory window. It crept up a poplar and then sat still enabling me to get some photos.

Rob

It's clearly a Short-toed Treecreeper that has collapsed after the effort of flying over the North Sea from the Low countries! :eek!:

Now is that not 122 for the year list. ;)

Cough, splutter! That may not have been 122 but a party of 15 waxwings on Saturday lunchtime was ... (122). They were only around for a few minutes before flying off NW over the village. More treecreeper action too - Andrew has it firmly on his list.
Otherwise nothing too remarkable - 3 grebe species on Saturday, a count of 131 teal (highest of the winter so far), a lone pintail, a long-tailed duck ...
Saturday produced a record count of 6 jays in the air at once. Goodness knows how many birds there are in Earlshall woods.
I sloped off on Saturday afternoon for some Pallas's warbler action at Kilminning. I've known them perform better, but you can't go wrong with a Pallas's warbler...

Rob

This thread hasn't beenl lumped in the Scottish local patch thread either!;)
Update! This thread is now with the others in the new lumped thread!

Last edited:
Don't bother checking things over the weekend and I find that I have missed all sorts of strange goings-on. I pass the 10 year residence requirement at any rate.
A quiet week really. Sue saw the first tree sparrow for a few months on Monday. The treecreeper has been around again - now by far our best year for the species. A family party of 3 whooper swans has been seen a couple of times. Greylag numbers are up to at least 228.

Rob

Well I'm sat in a portakabin in Oxfordshire again, but here's an update for the past week or so.
The duck scaup was seen a few times during the week along with at least 2 long-tailed ducks. Dabchicks can readily be seen at the mouth of the Motray. A flock of 18 whooper swans on (I think) Wednesday morning was the largest of the autumn so far. Saturday was another 5 corvid day, though jay sightings have become more infrequent and usually only involve 1 bird. I guess that may be it for another 10 months.
Small numbers of winter thurshes are about, but no large gatherings.

Rob

the scaup was still showing today roughly 3.00pm,i visited the eden centre for the first time today, i cant believe i have not been here before, im in fife at least once a month my usual pattern is tayport harbour/tayport pond/shoreline/st andrews/crail/cellardyke, then back to dundee for a hike on either sidlaws or lundie craggs,the pigfarm at cellardyke has thousands of starlings feeding on the pig food at the moment,every now and again they were disturbed and went into their swirling formation,on my way back from st andrews i always stop at the garage in guardbridge and watch the birds from there,it was here that somebody said you should visit the centre,when i go on my treks im to set in my ways and seem to overlook gems like the centre,i was only there 20 mins and had scaup/godwits /greylags/sparrowhawk/dunlin/buzzard/redshank/curlew/little grebe/all 4 tits/treecreeper/chaffinch/wigeon/cormorant/heron/mute swan/curlew/greenfinch,i picked up the leaflet about the estuary and am intending on doing the illustrated walk next week,ill post any obserevations here

I managed 51 species on Saturday, which isn't bad for the time of year. Highlights included 6 pintail (2 drakes), a high count of 243 teal, a single long-tailed duck, good numbers of grey plover and bar-tailed godwit, a single greenshank, 2 rock pipits and a treecreeper.
Mammal highlight was a very fluffed up fox snoozing in the sun like a ginger football.
We were out visiting friends in Aberdeen/dipping desert wheatear yesterday, but I did manage a nice tree sparrow before we left.

Rob

i spent most of the day in fife today after i checked out the ring tailed gull in dundee,the shoreline beside tayport pond had a lot of waders close to the road giving excellent views,the usual culew/redshank/lapwing/oystercatcher were there plus ringed plover/grey plover /dunlin/bar tailed godwit,mute swan/rock pipit/carion crow/black headed gull/herring gull,were also about,this was about 9.45 am,the eden centre again put on a superb show,all four tits /great spotted woodpecker/greylags/little grebes/dunnocks/robins/curlew/redshank/heron,the waders were far off and i wasn,t carrying my scope(carrying2 cameras) so i missed out there,highlight was a kingfisher landing on a perch in front of the hide,this was my first view of a kingfisher and it really made my day,i then walked from the guardbridge hotel to kincaple den,it was a bit chilly here not sure if it was because i left the heat of the eden centre or because it was _3,i had 8 little grebes,2 great black backed gulls ,2 buzzards,1 redwing,a small flock of linnits (10 roughly)
many blackbirds feeding on the last of the berries,2 herons,dunnocks,robin,bluetit,some greylag flyovers,oystercatchers/lapwings/gulls,i ended up in tentsmuir for 2 hours, 1 kestrel 2 buzzards, many robins some coaltits, 1 mistle thrush 1 stonechat, 1 wren,13 golfinches, dunlin,curlew/oystercatcher,eider,gooseander,treecreper,there were some seals with good size young out on the sand banks and i spotted 1 youngster still looking grey,making my way back to my car i walked along the small stream and a kingfisher darted past me,i only saw my first one today and now ive seen 2;)

pics
grey plover tayport
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/greyplvr.jpg
black headed gull tayport
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/bhgull69.jpg
house sparrow guardbridge
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/hsparrow.jpg
redshank tayport
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/red3.jpg
tentsmuir beach not looking very warm
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/kawwauser/bch4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back