• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

Had a scan downstream when I got in from work last night and picked up the first Arctic skua of the year (112).
Whilst we were having dinner two white blobs were visible on the saltmarsh which turned out to be little egrets. They didn't remain long before flying off upstream. Curiously later I had another scan downstream and picked up a little egret flying south into the estuary and disappearing into Balgove Bay, so it looks as if there are still 3 around. Also last night the 2 ruffs were still about (and again this morning). Among the duck arrivals is an unseasonal goldeneye, plus 2 tufties this morning.
A spotted redshank was seen yesterday - something to lookk for at the weekend.

Rob

I saw what was probably the same skua again on Friday.
The duck passage continues with 2 pintail and a shoveler on Saturday and 7 shoveler yesterday. Wader numbers are building nicely, with 47 black-tailed godwits on Saturday and at least as many yesterday. There are plenty of greenshanks but spotted redshanks (2 reported yesterday) continue to elude me. On Saturday I saw the first juvenile curlew sandpiper of the year (113) with a small group of dunlin. However the flock was flushed by an osprey and i haven't seen it since. Also present over the weekend 2 ruff, a few knot, 22 ringed plover yesterday (best of the year) and a summer plumage golden plover on Saturday.
Osprey numbers are increasing with both "osprey posts" tenanted for much of the time. Also we had a bird on a post on the saltmarsh on Friday evening. It flew off before I finished reading its colour ring however.
Plenty of terns still around with 20 common on Saturday the highest count.
A passage of sand martins this morning numbered around 50.

Rob

Last night a little egret viewed distantly in Balgove Bay, 2 ospreys, 8 greenshanks and late evening a skua in mid channel loafing on the water. Not ideal viewing conditions but I could see no reason why it wasn't an arctic ;)
A little egret flew downstream this morning.

Rob

3 ospreys last night, also 9 greenshanks.
This morning a group of 8 sanderlings - a real mega, the first for a few years (114). As I was filling the feeders an osprey flew overhead at tree top height - which was nice. An amazing sand martin passage of 300+ in about 5 minutes just before I left for work.

Rob

An excellent weekend with 63 spp on Saturday and 62 yesterday and a total of 73! Two additions to the year list: spotted redshank (115) and great skua (116). The former was first seen after being flushed into the view by the unexpected appearance of the latter. This was the first bonxie we have had fly upstream and it caused absolute mayhem.
On both Thursday and Friday Sue had 3 little egrets on the saltmarsh and on Friday a record count of 185+ Canada geese. A count of 238 was made from the Eden Estuary centre.
So weekend highlights ...
Saturday:
Fulmar 1, little egret 3 roosted on the saltmarsh over high tide, shoveler 2, peregrine 2, osprey 5 in view at once (probably at least 10 using the estuary at the moment), golden plover 2, grey plover 8, ringed plover 50, knot 3, black-tailed godwit, bar-tailed godwit, greenshank 40 (record count), spotted redshank 2, ruff 3, Arctic skua 3, great skua 1, sand martin, magpie.
Sunday:
little egret 2, canada goose 180, shoveler 2, goldeneye 2, common scoter 8, osprey 4+, peregrine 2, golden plover 1, whimbrel 2+, black-tailed godwit, bar-tailed godwit, greenshank, spotted redshank 4, ruff 1, Arctic skua 3, common tern 6, stock dove, sand martin, willow warbler (bizarrely picked up in the scope as it flew across the saltmarsh), magpie.

Curlew sands and little stints have been seen in Balgove Bay - the big tides later in the week may send them our way.

Rob

On both Thursday and Friday Sue had 3 little egrets on the saltmarsh
Rob

They really seem to be increasing on the east coast of Scotland. Still a description species in Lothian -3 birders had 7 at Tyninghame the weekend before last which I understand is a Scottish recored. I suspect it may not be too long before there is a breeding record somewhere

I spent a very enjoyable 90 mins at the Eden estuary centre this morning. Great views of fishing osprey and a pair of Peregrine hunting redshanks. Wader wise I thought initially it might be disappointing but as the tide dropped a steady stream of waders passed by me. Among the common stuff I had probably 20 ish black tailed godwit, 2 ruff, and rather jammily, 2 curlew sandpiper.

I'll be back tomorrow morning for a bit more...if nothing else, it'll keep me sane during the stats course I'm on....!

Nice.
3 little egrets still around roosting on the saltmarsh. I had 8 ruff last night - best of the year so far. The female peregrine was trying to get a curlew last night.

Rob

Another weekend with 60+ spp on each day.
Saturday's highlights were 3 fulmars right upstream (rather odd at this time of year), 3 little egrets, a shoveler, at least 6 ospreys, 52 stunning grey plovers, greenshank, 4 spotted redshanks, 2 ruff and an Arctic tern.
Yesterday featured a red -throated diver south past the estuary mouth (117, strange how hard this species has become), 2 fulmars, 3 little egrets (Rab Shand saw 4 again), 8 common scoters, 5 ospreys, a curlew sandpiper, at least 8 greenshanks, 5 spotted redshanks, 6 ruff and 2 Arctic skuas.
The calidrids are completely avoiding us: a total of 1 knot on both Saturday and Sunday plus the curlew sand. Very strange. Plenty of swallow passage throughout both days and also a few meadow pipits on the move.

Rob

Had 4 hours or so in the hide at Guardbridge on Saturday afternoon, and also saw the three Fulmars. Have seen the odd bird go over the hide in the past (to/from Balmullo quarry?), but never had any circling above the hide before.

There may well be more than just 4 Spotted Redshanks around, had a group feeding together of 7 or 8 birds, of which most were feeding in a similar manner to the confirmed Spotties, but they were tail on to me, so not sure. There are also a few singles dotted around in some of my other pics, but can't say one way or another as to whether they were or weren't the same birds that I'd seen all together (most I saw together for certain was 4).

Also had at least 6 Ospreys too - 3 way out in estuary perched on poles, 1 at "goalposts", 1 on the mud near the channel, and another fly through with a fish above the goalpost bird. Had at least 4 Terns (thought Common but photos are poor) as I was packing up to leave at 5.45pm. Also saw the Shoveler and 2 Little Egrets as well as the two Ruff. Very enjoyable afternoon.

Holiday in October

Hello everyone. Delia has recommended this thread to me for a forthcoming holiday in the Perth area in late October. Can someone recommend the best spots in the area with any car/parking/access advice.
There are a lot of busy observers on this thread - well done folks!

There is a very good hide looking out over the whole area in the park area just to the south of the former Paper Mill in Guardbridge, and there is a small car park for around 4 cars by the park - turn in off the main road at the entrance and go to the small car park on the right, rather than into the paper mill. There is a keypad on the door (for which you'll need the code). Opening times are 8 till 5 (more or less). A scope is probably best, as a lot of the birds can be quite distant, but there are lots of them, and a very good variety.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply Barry- I appreciate your help and the code. This is Bird Forum at its very best.
Best wishes
John
There is a very good hide looking out over the whole area in the park area just to the south of the former Paper Mill in Guardbridge, and there is a small car park for around 4 cars by the park - turn in off the main road at the entrance and go to the small car park on the right, rather than into the paper mill. There is a keypad on the door (for which you'll need the code). Opening times are 8 till 5 (more or less). A scope is probably best, as a lot of the birds can be quite distant, but there are lots of them, and a very good variety.

A quieter weekend (apart from the noise of planes!).
Highlights as follows:
A spotted redshank on both Saturday and Sunday, a few greenshanks and a curlew sandpiper on Saturday were the pick of the waders. Yesterday there were 2 shovelers and 3 drake scaup.
There are still a few terns about with 3 commons and an Arctic yesterday afternoon. New for the year on Saturday morning was a small party of long-tailed tits (118).
At least 3 ospreys still about.
Now hoping that Katia does no damage.
Rares would be a bonus.

Rob

Fortunately the strongest winds passed to the south of us - still gusting to 60 mph though.
I had a productive half hour when I got home from work last night with a little egret struggling to fly upstream, the 3 drake scaup (also present this morning), a female peregrine and, best of all, a nice juvenile black tern with common and sandwich terns. Only our 2nd record (3rd bird), so 119 for the year.

Rob

Quite a good weekend really, though without any outstanding highlights.
On Friday evening there were 3 little egrets on the saltmarsh and an adult Mediterranean gull came into the roost.
Saturday began rather inauspiciously with the first black swan for the garden list, which flew in with a flock of mutes, flew around for a bit and then departed - yuck! Anyway better was to come, with at least 5 curlew sandpipers, 2 spotted redshanks, the first flock of golden plovers of the autumn and 6 siskins SW. Decent seawatching conditions early evening porduced an Arctic skua and the first velvet scoter of the year (120).
Yesterday the waders were even better with 9 curlew sandpipers, 4 spotted redshanks and 5 ruff. Other highlights were 2 little egrets and more good early evening seawatching producing 4 red-throated divers, an Arctic skua, around 15 common scoters and flock of at least 40 kittiwakes.

Rob

More of the same really.
On Saturday we were mostly on the A90 between Guardbridge and Strathbeg, but the sandhill crane was worth it (and a world tick).
Yesterday produced getting on for 60 species, despite our feeders being down while we deal with a rat problem.
Highlights were 3 little egrets, a great crested grebe, 4 pintail, 8 common scoters, a duck scaup, peregrine, 2 curlew sandpipers, 3 spotted redshanks, 28 greenshanks and a ruff. A passing grey wagtail was the first of the year (121). They have become rather tricky of late. Quite a number of pinkfeet on the move.

Rob

Rather quiet over the weekend with poor weather not helping - a far cry from the summery weather of Wednesday to Friday.
Highlights were 3 little egrets on Friday evening, a maximum of 6 pintail on Saturday, with 4 shoveler yesterday. Waders included 4 spotted redshanks yesterday and 2 curlew sandpipers on Saturday.
Yesterday evening I picked up a 1st winter little gull at very long range.

Rob

9 little gulls this morning (2 adults and 7 1st winter), which was rather jolly.
Also a surprising amount of vis mig considering the strong winds - skylarks, pipits and pied wagtails plus around 150 pinkfeet.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back