• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I will be in Edinburgh for a few nights early next week.

I will be with my wife and children so would not be able to to any wild far flung places or long journeys. Where is the nearest place I could see:-

Capercaillie
Crested Tit
Scottish Crossbill
White Tailed Eagle
Golden Eagle

any other Scottish specialities would be lovely too as long as they are easy to get to

I might do a trip to Loch Leven on one day and maybe even Braemer on another day.

No tickets to the castle available and other indoor attractions seem pretty booked up.

All of these will be tricky to get near Edinburgh.
A decent trip up the A9 to Speyside (or west coast for the WTE) and a couple of days effort required.

I would recommend this though The wonder of wildlife
Short drive (I think accessible by train maybe too?) and well worth a boat trip - did the 3 islands seabird boat trip with my 11 year old when we were back in 2018, we loved it.

How far do you want to travel? All these species are at least 2 hours from Edinburgh. There has been a White-tailed Eagle in East Lothian but it’s not exactly twitchable.

Possibility of White Tailed Eagle at the Eden Estuary in Fife, potentially viewable from Guardbridge or St Andrews (Out Head), but it is only a fairly slim possibility at this time of year. A lot of luck would likely be required. Possibility of Osprey there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back