• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg collector given Asbo preventing travel to Scotland (1 Viewer)

I gather he's also been banned from all RSPB and Wildlife Trust land - presumably throughout the UK. This is an encouraging move. I think, however, given his previous behaviour there's a high chance that he will try to break these rules. It's a pity that he's unlikely to get any psychological help with his obsessive behaviour whilst in prison. Fortunately, it should be much easier to bring a successful action against him should he break his ASBO than it is to prove egg theft - actual or attempted. On paper at least the punishments for breaking an ASBO are quite stiff - up to 5 years in prison and a hefty fine,

Our 'friend' Matthew Gonshaw in the news again. He has been given an ASBO to prevent him travelling to Scotland for the next 10 breeding season.

Details here.

Cheers, Andy

Just read up about this guy. He seems to have something not right going on in his head - as his behaviour is not normal. :eek!:

Maybe a 'support group' with some mental support can get to the bottom of his problem with having to 'abuse' our wildlife in the UK.

I think that he will learn the hard way as he cannot help himself as his obsession with his subject is too deep to stop... so a 5 year prison sentence will be his future.

Regards
Kathy
x

Just read up about this guy. He seems to have something not right going on in his head - as his behaviour is not normal. :eek!: Maybe a 'support group' with some mental support can get to the bottom of his problem with having to 'abuse' our wildlife in the UK. I think that he will learn the hard way as he cannot help himself as his obsession with his subject is too deep to stop... so a 5 year prison sentence will be his future. Regards Kathy x

I couldn't agree more about how he should be treated, but given that central funding for such activities has been cut by this government, I doubt if we'll ever see proper funding in this area (not that the previous government did much better). I also doubt if anyone could point me to official evidence for successful research into mental health treatments being adopted and funded nationwide. Some of the charities have done amazing work, but if we're serious about this issue, non-partisan policies have to be set in place to reduce the damage that obsessive behaviour can cause.
MJB

Breaking both his legs would also prevent travel to Scotland & elsewhere :t:

Stealing birds eggs is illegal as is, oddly enough, GBH. It saddens me that pretty much everytime we have an example of such criminality someone has to propose (albeit in jest?) a violent response,

I'm sure is was in jest. It's called having a sense of humour I think.

Having a robust sense of humour myself, I appreciate that it (and the similar post that followed) was, in all likelihood, meant as a 'joke' as my post indicated. Even so, I find it a sorry state of affairs when people aspousing a concern for humane treatment of animals so readily reach for violent imagery when reacting to a case like this,

Having a robust sense of humour myself, I appreciate that it (and the similar post that followed) was, in all likelihood, meant as a 'joke' as my post indicated. Even so, I find it a sorry state of affairs when people aspousing a concern for humane treatment of animals so readily reach for violent imagery when reacting to a case like this,

OK let's all hold hands and spread the love instead eh? Silly me for thinking I could use such an outlet for my frustration. My post isn't the only one that's predictable - the usual touchy response to a light hearted comment.

Chill out for gawd's sake :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back