• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg collector prosecuted (1 Viewer)

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
United Kingdom

Further details show him to be named as a 63 year old from Yorkshire who had previous convictions involving many raptor species and traded eggs on an auction site. He had also travelled abroad to target and collect " highly desired " items.
Apart from the seized collection, officials removed an insecure working shotgun; surely questions and or other charges could have been considered regarding whether he had a licence, ammunition and if the local constabulary had inspected the premises as is usually required.
Obviously there aren't sufficient resources to monitor known individuals during the breeding season but thanks must go to the gamekeepers on this occasion who reported his activities - "twofold" as it would give them a bit of credence.
Horrid individual - should be behind bars

Last edited:
Good result.
Weird that he was incubating Curlew and Golden Plover eggs, not heard of an egg collector doing that before. What would he have done with the birds once they hatched?

Most likely a cover story in case he was questioned...... " I'm a conservationist and helping to increase declining moorland species " by collecting eggs, raising the chicks safely and releasing them back - yeah,right.

Behind bars for the whole of the breeding season, every year....
While I agree with the sentiment, for repeat offenders I think a restraining order requiring the individual to remain within a certain area, combined with an electronic tag, during the breeding season would be reasonable proposition.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back