• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EGYPT - taking optics into country? Latest intel needed (1 Viewer)

Benedict Macdonald

England
Dear all,

Was quite far along with planning a northern Egypt trip this week when my fixers got back to ask for photos of my bins, camera and scope, ran them back the border authorities and came back saying, you cannot legally take optics into Egypt. I am aware of 100s of birder visits to Egypt and this wasn't remotely on my radar. It's too big a financial risk to chance it at the border, so can anyone provide any advice?

With best,

Ben

Dont. Honestly, just dont.

With Maritime Security lads the advice is thus: travel clean. No cameras. No binoculars. No scopes. No drones. No anything. Pick up your transit and go.

Do NOT do this. Just dont. THEY WILL TAKE EVERYTHING

Not Egypt, but Tunisia - a well-known Shropshire birder is just back and reports that his binoculars were taken off him on entry but he got them back when leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back