• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley Marshes (4 Viewers)

johnraven said:
The weekend before the last one I had absolutely fantastic views of RLB from the far corner of Elmley reserve - beyond spitend hide. Admittedly its a four mile hike both ways (walking below the seawall all the way round the reserve), and I had the distinct feeling that if I tripped up and broke a leg no one would find me for weeks, but watching the bird hunting rabbits and having a mid-air scrap with a couple of Marsh Harriers was worth the trouble many times over.
Welcome to Birdforum.net John.

Yes, the RLB is well worth seeing, especially when being persued by other raptors.

Regards

I'm interested at looking for the RLB on 25th February. Can anyone tell me how to access reports of it to make sure that it hasnt flwon away,as elmley is a hell of a long drive from Devon.
Also, can anyone direct me to where I should start looking once I do get there.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Padraig.

Latest sightings of the RLB are usually posted on www.birdguides.com, which is free of charge for the simple present or not info (or you could subscribe for more detail).
The birds are mostly seen from the mound at Capel Fleet, on Harty Ferry Road, OS 010689, looking west. They can be very distant from here, but if you spend long enough here you have a good chance of seeing them.

If you are a lively sort of person, you may well get much better views by doing what I did and walk to the far end of Elmley. It's at least an 8 mile round trip.

Arrived at Elmley today at about three in the afternoon hoping that I might find a RLB for my youngest son who was with me. Saw a buzzard of some sort at the western end of the reserve but could not ID it one way or another. He was pleased however as he saw his first pintail. There was plenty of the usual stuff around and some good views. Then I decided to take a chance and drive to Harty Ferry to try and catch a RLB before dark. Saw three large BOPs on the way over, all marsh harriers. Conversation with some one at Harty was something like "You know about this do you?" and pointing. I didn't know about "this" which was a Glaucous Gull. Fairly close view and enough light to see it well. It was getting dark by now and a short eared owl obliged by making an appearance, then a second a few minutes later. Driving away another SEO in the headlights and well lit for a few seconds. Finished off stopping to watch a couple of hares in the headlights. What had started off as an unpromising late arrival ended up as avery pleasing couple of hours.

Keith

Been to Elmley reserve in 2002. Served there as a volunteer for 3 months and just to remind you the biggest attraction that autumn was the Pallid Harrier (male bird). As far as I remember in total this was the 11th sighting of this bird. Would like to go again to Elmley. :bounce: Fabulous place for birding.

Hello Roller and welcome to Birdforum.net

I've only been to Elmley a couple of times, but it is indeed a great place. Hopefully I'll be back there in the not too distant future!

Regards

Managed to get over to Harty Marsh today with Andy (Vitler23).
We searched in vain for RLB but managed to get Ruff, Short Eared Owl, Black Brant, Hen Harriers and Corn Buntings.
Later, when Andy had headed off to work, I joined up with other birders and eventually a juvenile RLB got spotted in the distance atop a bush under the brow of the hill. When it flew, the distinctive plumage was visible, just about.
Later, I went with two of these blokes (from nearby on the mainland) to a spot near the prison and got nice views of 2 RLBs fling high overhead.

Later I drove to the RSPB centre at Elmley but didnt have time to go around the reserve. Some other time.
Sheppey has got to be one of the best places for raptors in this country. Amazing numbers of Marsh Harriers.
Thanks to Andy for showing me around the place and thanks to Helelenol for suggesting that he might be able to do so.

Reagrds,

Padraig.

We searched in vain for RLB but managed to get Ruff, Short Eared Owl, Black Brant, Hen Harriers and Corn Buntings.
Later, when Andy had headed off to work, I joined up with other birders and eventually a juvenile RLB got spotted in the distance atop a bush under the brow of the hill. When it flew, the distinctive plumage was visible, just about.
Later, I went with two of these blokes (from nearby on the mainland) to a spot near the prison and got nice views of 2 RLBs fling high overhead.

Later I drove to the RSPB centre at Elmley but didnt have time to go around the reserve. Some other time.
Sheppey has got to be one of the best places for raptors in this country. Amazing numbers of Marsh Harriers.
Thanks to Andy for showing me around the place and thanks to Helelenol for suggesting that he might be able to do so.

Reagrds,

Padraig.

Reagrds,

Padraig.

Padraig said:
juvenile RLB got spotted in the distance atop a bush under the brow of the hill. When it flew, the distinctive plumage was visible, just about.

Padraig.

Where did you see the Ruff, SEO??? I have yet to see either this year and I've been on the Island several times this year.
RLBuzzard something else eh?

The Ruff were in the field just by the 'Pumping House' if you know where that is. Among a flock of starlings just at the feet of some cows.
The SEO was own by Harty's Ferry sitting on the remains of a shed.
Apparently you can get up to 15 there early in the morning although they soon scatter for the day.

Thanks for the 'thoughtful comments' compliment on the other thread. I do like a good compliment myself :¬)

Regards,

Padraig.

Padraig said:
The Ruff were in the field just by the 'Pumping House' if you know where that is. Among a flock of starlings just at the feet of some cows.
The SEO was own by Harty's Ferry sitting on the remains of a shed.
Apparently you can get up to 15 there early in the morning although they soon scatter for the day.
Padraig.

Thanks for that I do know where both places are . Next time I visit my brother or my neice I shall go down early as I would love to see the SEO's.
I havent ventured that far down past the pumping house(or what used to be a ph!! for ages!!)
Was there only one ruff? I've seen flocks of Starlings in that field before with crows...not seen a Ruff...
Aren't the Corn Bunting a delight...on the wires?
Cheers

There were 2 Ruff. first time I have ever seen Ruff in a field.
The Corn Buntings are great. I got my first ones ever there last year and my second ever sighting was the flock of a bout 30-40 sitting in exactly the same Hawthorn bush. They seem to like that spot.

P.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back