• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Erebia Ringlet Species for ID (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

I saw several Erebia species butterflies on holiday in Haute-Savoie, France recently and most are giving me ID problems!

The one below is an interesting example. There appear to be 3 possibles with this pattern of 'eyes' where there are 3 large and 2 distinctly smaller eyes on the upper forewing.

The shot was taken at Montenvers in the Mont Blanc range at about 1900m high which rules out Chapman Ringlet.

De Prunners Ringlet should have the 'top' 3 eyes more or less in-line which this one clearly doesn't (it's also a bit late in the year for this sp).

This leaves Piedmont Ringlet - however, although the book (Tolman/Lewington) describes many of these species as variable, the illustration closest to this one is of the form bejarensis which occurs in central Spain! None of the other pictures show anything like this patterning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The underwing was not seen

Attachments

• ringlet-sp-1.jpg
    ringlet-sp-1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
Come on folks, don't be shy!

How about this one as well, whilst you're at it.

On a flowery hillside at about 1300m near La Clusaz, Haute-Savoie

Attachments

• ringlet-sp-6-july-24-2005-1.jpg
    ringlet-sp-6-july-24-2005-1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 95
First have to say I have no experience of these species of ringlet and am simply looking in the same book as you (Lewington/Tolman). Would agree the closest match are the two species you suggest. However, looking at your first photo and the illustration of Piedmont in the book, there is no Piedmont that matches your butterfly - the bejarensis illustrated (only female shown) has far more orange surrounding the spots than on yours. The male meolans has correct amount of orange, but spots wrong. So the question is how variable are these races? Can the race in the area you took the photo show these mixed characteristics? I suppose so, but that is a guess - maybe someone more knowledgeable in this filed might like to comment.

It appears that the races of de Prunner's Ringlet are less variable and, according to the book, none have the spot pattern of yours, so my guess is that it is Piedmont.

Thanks, Jos.

I photographed another butterfly quite close by which I'm fairly confident is a male Piedmont (I'll be putting it into my gallery soon) so I suppose that's a good pointer to it being that species but, as you say, we could really do with someone more knowledgable to comment. on their variability.

I get a few hours on a few days per year, during my annual holiday, to do the best that I can with continental butterflies so I reckon I'll have cracked these Erebias when I'm about 90 - then I'll start on the fritillaries and blues!

Not a great deal of interest in these ringlets, so does anyone have any comments on the pale yellow Clouded Yellow below.

The shot is full-frame at the closest focus distance of my lens (I've been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to get a Small White at the same distance since returning home, for comparison, as it seemed quite a small butterfly at the time).

The upperside was, as far as could be seen in flight, the same colour as is visible on the forewing and the 'dusty' underside of the hindwing was quite noticeable.

Presumably, it's either a pale form of Clouded (Colias crocea), Pale Clouded (C. hyale) or Berger's Clouded Yellow (C.alfacariensis).

It was on a flowery hillside at about 1300m a.s.l.

Attachments

• clouded-yellow-sp-1-july-24.jpg
    clouded-yellow-sp-1-july-24.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 115
Adey, take a look at a thread I started with a Pale Clouded Yellow - thread name is 'Jos's Butterflies - some for discussion'. The Pale Clouded I photographed also struck me as a small butterfly.

Missed that thread, Jos, amongst about 5,700 posts when I got back from holiday!

The underside of mine is obviously well worn as the crescent of spots is hardly visible

Adey Baker said:
Thanks, Jos.

I photographed another butterfly quite close by which I'm fairly confident is a male Piedmont (I'll be putting it into my gallery soon) so I suppose that's a good pointer to it being that species but, as you say, we could really do with someone more knowledgable to comment. on their variability.

I've uploaded the presumed male Piedmont Ringlet into the gallery today at:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/59610/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back