• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eschenbach Porro Prism Trophy 7x42 B information please (1 Viewer)

David N

Northamptonshire
Supporter
United Kingdom
I recently bought these Eschenbach Trophy 7x42 B binoculars from a chap near to me, he was thinning out his collection. Unfortunately he couldn’t remember when he acquired them.
Eschenbach was formed in Germany in 1913 and brands numerous optical related products binoculars being one of them. The Trophy appears to be the mid range offering and they are still marketed today. I strongly suspect that the company outsources all their binocular manufacturing. So far I have been unable to find out where they are manufactured. The do appear quite regularly on the eBay German site.

They are in stunning condition (see photos) I have been unable to find any marks or signs of use anywhere on the them. The included case is I suspect is not leather and a composite type. I like them and they are kept in a room overlooking my back garden and are perfect for observing wild life.

Around the binoculars are the following markings and descriptions, 114 m/1000m, Bak 4, UV- Vollvergutung. The tripod adapter plate (which is Metal) has EOW marked on it with the number 66244 etched onto it.

If anyone can shed any further info on them I would appreciate it.
David

Attachments

• IMG_5051.jpeg
    IMG_5051.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5053.jpeg
    IMG_5053.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5056.jpeg
    IMG_5056.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5055.jpeg
    IMG_5055.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5054.jpeg
    IMG_5054.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5057.jpeg
    IMG_5057.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Hi Hare,

I don't know if Eschenbach ever made binoculars, maybe Galileans in the early days.

Mainly magnifiers and low vision aids.

The field on this binocular. is narrow at 6.5 degrees marked.

The coatings seem poor, mainly uncoated surfaces with a so called UV coating in lurid blue.

At a guess c.1970 Japanese.

Are there JB and JE marks anywhere engraved or even internally at the front?

The B means suitable for use with spectacles.

If well aligned and clean inside the binocular could be useful.

The front cap seems to unscrew to reveal a tripod thread, but at 7x why bother?

Regards,
B.

Hi Hare,

I don't know if Eschenbach ever made binoculars, maybe Galileans in the early days.

Mainly magnifiers and low vision aids.

The field on this binocular. is narrow at 6.5 degrees marked.

The coatings seem poor, mainly uncoated surfaces with a so called UV coating in lurid blue.

At a guess c.1970 Japanese.

Are there JB and JE marks anywhere engraved or even internally at the front?

The B means suitable for use with spectacles.

If well aligned and clean inside the binocular could be useful.

The front cap seems to unscrew to reveal a tripod thread, but at 7x why bother?

Regards,
B.
Thank you for your reply. There are no JB &JE markings visible. They are amazing optically at 75 meters there is a very distinct 3D rendition looking through trees, something my Zeiss Conquest 8x42 cannot replicate. Focus starts around 5meters it is no close focus bino. I suspect it has not been used at all and internally it has no problems at all. I really like it, it sits on a window overlooking a park and is ready at hand. I couldn't ask for anything more, comfortable, excellent glass and less than the cost of filling up car with fuel.

I have a couple of "Eschenbach" porros. Some were made by Kamakura (one has the visible J-B133 on the inside next to the prism), other earlier models by different Japanese makers and there were at some time even Eschenbach binos with "Made in Germany" on them. Not sure, who made these, might have been Steiner. I think Steiner made a few binos for other brands. But that is just speculation on my part as I actually saw the same models (ca. 1970s) sold as "Steiner" and with other brand names on them. But even "Hartmann" sold some binos under different brands like "Hanseat".
Quite difficult sometimes to find out who made what.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back