• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (6 Viewers)

Just logged in to catch up on messages: So belated condolences Andy. May be a bit beyond your evening range, but give me a shout if you'd like to join me for a wander around my patch in East Tilbury any time.

Steve

thanks Steve- East Tilbury is a bit far but if I'm ever venturing that way I will drop you a line

Pm from Andygolfer...

All are welcome

andygolfer said:
all being well i will be there by 16.30, want to post to see if anyone wants to join us, if they do it's cranham road at russell green for the location (park by footpath 300m from road junction), I'm out all evening and tomorrow so will need you to respond unless it's late tonight.

Might as well share the spot!

Andy

Will do.

Last edited:
All the usual stuff on a small walk up the river from the town center in Chelsmsford up to springfield lock this morning. Mallards, common and Black headed Gull, moorhen, coot, LLT, Great tit's, Robins, Carrion crow's. Also saw 2 Little grebe's by the weir pool. So will be looking out for increaseing numbers in the next few weeks. Also have'nt seen many Jays lately but again like last year an infulx could happen in a few weeks or months.

Flight was a short bursting undulatory manner, very fast but as a group seemed to land in v shallow (1 inch max) water and islands on the gravel pit. Almost seemed like constant infighting as they flew in the tight flock.

It may be a new species that explains the odd behaviour to me or it may just be a new season for me and this should become more common as Winter grips

They're all Linnets.

Pale brown underneath, darker/warmer brown on top, paler/greyer head, and whitish wing patches. Males and females look similar this time of year.

Weather forecast for Friday and the weekend is eaterlies which could spell a good seawatching spell, Canvey Point, followed by checking the migrant traps once the wind has died down; seabirds anyone :- possible species could be Sooty and Manx Shearwaters, Leach's Petrel, all 4 Skua's, Auks, Gannets, Fulmars and perhaps a few early divers and seaduck.

I may be out of luck as will be in work...

Great to see the Mute swans and its Cygnets still in the town centre on the river, I was watching the swan pair when they where in the nest with the eggs, then a few days after birth I saw them, and basically nearly every day I go past them. There cygnets are now starting to develop white on their coats which is good!

Great to see the Mute swans and its Cygnets still in the town centre on the river, I was watching the swan pair when they where in the nest with the eggs, then a few days after birth I saw them, and basically nearly every day I go past them. There cygnets are now starting to develop white on their coats which is good!

They may not agree when the adults chase them away though. ;)

Attempted to try go over the Baddow Meads about middy but only got as far as about 200 yards past the road bridge because the rain got to much with the factor that I did'nt have my water proofs with me...Still saw a few birds; 6 Little Grebe's which is nice to see there back hopefully numbers increase, Big numbers of Moorhens hitting 15 or so and that was only from the weir to the bridge. Lots of Mallards, The 2 mute swans and it's cygnets where around aswell as a another other pair upstream, couple of LTT flocks, lots of blackbirds, some very load Robins, couple of Blue tit flocks, Black headed gulls but only a few, wood piegion and Collard dove, 1 kestrel chasing a few starlings, Carrion crows..Was hoping to see Kingfisher and with all the Redwing reports was hoping to see a few around the horse paddocks ect but did'nt get that far.

Is it better to seawatch from Canvey Point or Canvey seafront? Not knowing the area, any help would be much appreciated.

I'd do the seafront - the point will be really exposed in this weather. At least on the front you can get a bit of shelter.

Ages since I've been down there, though - most of my seawatching is in Norfolk.

Seawatching from the point is best but as David says there is no shelter, unless you sit right under the steps. In poor weather seawatching from the Coastguards along the seafront, east of the Labworth Cafe near the amusement arcades will provide shelter.

Seawatchers will be there again tomorrow, possibly even better for then than today, as well as on Southend Pier which in my opinion will be even better than Canvey.

There were probably 2 Leach's past Gunners Park and I had news of 3-4 past Canvey so there will be birds in between and the pier gets you out there with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back