• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Yes on the main river around the cattle drink area. I was there for quite a while before I saw it.
Thanks Plodder, I will have another look soon.
I went to Hanningfield today and saw quite a lot of birds. The highlights being an adult Yellow-legged Gull, Oystercatcher, Common Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Red-crested Pochard, fox and a Well showing reed Warbler.
Another Birder saw A Barn Owl over the grazing meadow and A Garden Warbler in the glade.

Full report will soon be on my blog.

Red-necked Phalarope at Mistley

There is a report of a Red-necked Phalarope at Mistley late today. The report says that it is at 'Hopping Bridge'. I'm local to this area and thought I knew all the sites around NE Essex, but I've no idea where Hopping Bridge is. Any clues from anyone?

Stewart

OK - with a bit of Googleing I've managed to answer my own question. Hopping Bridge is at the east end of The Walls before you come to Mistley Towers. It's where all the swans hang out (and, I read, where they once did that 'potential-witch-dunking thing'!). However, I've just read that there is no sight of the bird so far this morning.

OK - with a bit of Googleing I've managed to answer my own question. Hopping Bridge is at the east end of The Walls before you come to Mistley Towers. It's where all the swans hang out (and, I read, where they once did that 'potential-witch-dunking thing'!). However, I've just read that there is no sight of the bird so far this morning.

yup- it's where the coffee van and the ice-cream van park of a weekend..

very gripping

"Gripping" indeed. Perhaps 'twitcher-dipping' is a modern version of 'witch-dunking'! There's another joke there about Lee Evans as the Listmaster General - but I'm too kind to tell it.

A good walk along the south bank of the Stour this morning: Manningtree to Flatford. Notable birds were: 3 Whimbrel; 5 Green Sandpiper; 2 Common Samdpiper; 3 Eqyptian Geese; 32+ Oystercatcher; 5 Little Ringed Plover; and an immature Marsh Harrier. Good to see and hear the Whimbrel, but I always think that it is rather sad to see returning migrants at what seems to be an early point in the summer (especially as it hasn't really been a 'summer' yet!).

Stewart

Last edited:
On Baddow meads again this morning where I spotted the Kingfisher again. Also perched on the wires was a large hawk? My initial thoughts are that it may be a Marsh Harrier, because it was much bigger than a Kestrel or Sparrowhawk. It was reddish brown but I couldn't see the underside when it was in flight. What else might it have been?

On Baddow meads again this morning where I spotted the Kingfisher again. Also perched on the wires was a large hawk? My initial thoughts are that it may be a Marsh Harrier, because it was much bigger than a Kestrel or Sparrowhawk. It was reddish brown but I couldn't see the underside when it was in flight. What else might it have been?

'Perched on wires' doesn't sound like typical Marsh Harrier behaviour to me. Was it actually perched on the 'wire' or on a post/pylon? If the latter, it may well have been a Common Buzzard, which are now becoming an increasingly common sight in Essex.

Stewart

'Perched on wires' doesn't sound like typical Marsh Harrier behaviour to me. Was it actually perched on the 'wire' or on a post/pylon? If the latter, it may well have been a Common Buzzard, which are now becoming an increasingly common sight in Essex.

Stewart

It was on the wire when I first saw it, but it then flew off and landed on one of the posts. I've seen Buzzards in Shropshire and this didn't look like one to me, But I'm no expert.

I was watching the hawk again early this morning. At first light it was flying around the meads very quickly and not hovering at any time. it was wheeling around for about half an hour before I lost sight of it. I still can't identify it as the light was quite poor. Sorry I can't be more specific. Interesting to watch though.

Not saying it's your bird Plodder but I saw a gorgeous female Sparrowhawk wheeling over the Meads about 20 minutes ago, reasonably high but not so high I couldn't see it well without binoculars. Slow circular glides interspersed with fairly fast (but relaxed) flapping. Broad wings and a long stick of a tail makes it look like a T shape. Great to see, I always like to see them around - they've been visiting my garden a LOT recently and my garden birds have been really nervy!

A fair number of swifts, Woodpigeons and a few black-headed gulls and the odd Wren, plus I think some House Sparrows near the farm buildings but they disappeared almost before I saw them. I counted at least 25 Meadow Brown butterflies over there just alongside the track I walked, plus a few Small Tortoiseshells, Large Whites and a Gatekeeper. Poor compared to a few years back when the place was absolutely brimming over with butterflies but not too bad compared to last year considering how bad the weather has been.

Be aware that you do get falconers over there from time to time - I've seen a guy there with a Harris Hawk quite a bit and once someone with a Barn Owl (!). Caught me out once when I was convinced I'd seen something astonishing until the guy called down the bird and it turned out to be a Harris Hawk. Oops!

Thanks Paul, I haven't managed to get a proper view yet, so I'll try to get closer and get a picture if I can. I've seen the chap you refer to as well.

I'm No where near a expert, But it does seem rather interesting how you described the bird...I might try get over there and take a look and see what I can see and what I think..

I've yet to see any large bird of prey perching on wires. It seems highly unlikey it would be a Marsh Harrier or Buzzard, these are big.

Mid to small sized raptors will perch on wires, from what you've described it sounds likely to be a female or large immature female Sparrowhawk.

It could of course be an escaped bird of prey but anything upwards of harrier sized would be unusual on wires instead of posts.

I've yet to see any large bird of prey perching on wires. It seems highly unlikey it would be a Marsh Harrier or Buzzard, these are big.

Mid to small sized raptors will perch on wires, from what you've described it sounds likely to be a female or large immature female Sparrowhawk.

It could of course be an escaped bird of prey but anything upwards of harrier sized would be unusual on wires instead of posts.

Would have agreed up until last week in Scotland, when we saw a Buzzard perched on wires, so it is possible.

Phil

Anyone know if there are any Med Gulls at the end of Southend Pier at the moment? I was thinking of going there at the weekend to try and get some photos of juvvies.

Anyone know if there are any Med Gulls at the end of Southend Pier at the moment? I was thinking of going there at the weekend to try and get some photos of juvvies.

I don't believe anyone has done the Pier since the winter.

My suggestion for the weekend would be the seafront on the falling tide at around 10.30am/11am ish.

Over the past years counts of 170+ Meds have been made on the mussle beds on the incoming/outgoing tides and can get pushed on to the last open areas of mud and mussle beds. A pier trip will probably result in some Meds over high tide, possibly even juveniles but a combination of both sites would be better. High Tide on Saturday is 8am and on Sunday 9.19am.

It should be known that the tide at Southend Seafront, east of the pier where the most Meds get is 3 hours and not 2 either side of high water.

Start looking from the wooden slipway opposite the Castle Pub. If its sunny then the seafront and pier will be people magnets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back