• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Poor photo of a Kingfisher at Beeleigh Weir, Maldon. I see them nearly every time I visit but the amount of people seems to keep them distant and on high alert.

Superb - they really are fantastic birds... though I'm speaking from just a couple of sightings.

Quiet on the meads on Sunday morning, but I got out before dawn to do some bat detecting (found 45 and 55khz Pipistrelles). Saw the mute swans panic and fly around the corner at Springfield Lock, plus the moorhens were unsettled. It 'might' have suggested the otter was about but I didn't see any signs while I was there. Birdlife pretty subdued really, I saw some of the regulars though: Pheasants, Woodpigeons, feral pigeons, Carrion Crows, Wrens, Robins, Dunnocks, Great Tits, Starlings, Blackbirds, House Martins, Herring Gulls, Goldfinches, Moorhens, Mute Swans, lots of Mallards. I didn't find any warblers other than a lone Chiffchaff, and no Reed Buntings, Linnets or Skylarks, though the Skylarks probably have moved to the neighbouring farmland now those fields have been harvested.

Had an awesome view of a Peregrine at Blue House Farm today, poor photos but the best view of a Peregrine I've ever had!

Not really knowing anything about the plans, I wonder what, if any, impact the works on Wallasea Island will have on the winter visitors, not just this winter but over the years to come. I'm guessing that because the place is so large it'll be fairly easy for the birds to keep away from any people there but presumably their plan takes into account effects on the birds already there, like the corn buntings and the Short Eared Owls and Hen Harriers that were there last winter. After the improvements they'd already done it would be awful for them to turn it into a place for waders and lose those species in the process!

Had a great morning at Rainham today, I wasnt planning on going but at 7 oclock rainham was the only reserve open.
The Hightlights were a very obliging Kestrel and a fox and the Baillon's Crake showed well too.

Still seen a few swallow's around certain areas...Hylands Sunday morning I saw a single swallow on its own in the fields, and Grest Waltham nature reserve produced 2 swallows...There was also a Kestral looking for dinner.

Few on the meads on sunday but not much else - some crows and woodpigeons and a couple of cormorants. Haven't really done much watching out there at all recently. Saw a few crows and woodies again walking home that way this afternoon but was pleased to get a sighting of a fox at the foot tunnel under Essex Yeomanry Way - always nice to see one around.

Anyone going to the British Naturalist Association symposium at Moulsham Mill in October? Should be good, they've got Richard Mabey and Ted Benton, plus they're doing field work along the river. Looks like they've sold out of tickets now though:

http://www.bna-naturalists.org/events.htm

Last edited:
The meads Really does seem pretty bird less at this current time, I walked by the river in town this morning..Nothing much to report. Lots wood pigeions and collard doves around, few common gulls,single Moorhen and a single magpie, few mallards in there common areas...Also a very loud robin and few sparrows...And a single Juv Mute swan..

Nothing much, but was only going that way to get to where I need to be.

Last edited:
It's one of those places - go at the right time and it's superb but it can be incredibly bleak and empty sometimes. I haven't been to the farmland for ages though so that might be worth checking out.

Okay, seen 2 jays fly over town this afternoon. I may well pop over the Meads and change routes where I walk..With all this rain I wonder if we might see the meads flooding soon..Which means hopefully a few decent or chances of some waders? Does the Mead's normally attract waders when flooded?

No, the meads doesnt normally attract waders when flooded. Early May this year the Meads flooded and despite extensive serching for waders over two days I only saw 1 lapwing fly over. However when the meads do flood they do look perfect for waders. Perhaps if the meads flooded during the autumn passage some waders may appear.

Oh, we'll we will see. Hopefully it does. Iv noticed a huge jay influx lately in and near town centre...I saw 7 different jays in the morning last week, and 2 on a other day.

Well the bad weather is bringing the Meadow Pipits back to the meads, just saw a flock of 16. I didn't have bins with me (was just going shopping) to be REALLY visually certain but I heard a few little characteristic calls and I know from past winters here their behaviour well enough to be sure of an id - they were in the grass and flying up in a very typical way to perch on the power lines - few other small birds perch there (sometimes goldfinches) and those that do don't move between them and the grass in the way that the pipits do - the goldfinches usually fly high across to the trees instead, where the areas of seed heads are. Sixteen is a good start, am hoping we'll get a lot more as the cold weather sets in, in past years there have sometimes been over a hundred gathered together here.

Also saw my first Little Grebe here for ages, though given how out of touch with the place I've been this year I wouldn't be surprised if they've been around all year! A number of Cormorants about, lots of Moorhens, Mallards, Magpies, Woodpigeons, Feral Pigeons, Carrion Crows and a Kestrel over the north meadow being mobbed by some small passerines. Also saw a hawker dragonfly near the road bridge, though it's movement meant I couldn't guess a species (quite possibly a Migrant Hawker though).

Last edited:
Still Been seeing few swifts around town, not as many as the peak time Of the year But still a few around. Also a cormorant was fishing on the river behind the records office. Aswell as seeing a few jays which are becoming hugely common for me to see now, most days just walking to get to where I need to be I see them.

A bit of local knowledge needed please. I spent ages last year and a bit of the year before trying to see the Short-eared Owls at Limbourne Creek in Maldon. I eventually managed to see them and got used to the times of day they started to hunt. But when do they usually start to show up? the earliest picture I got of one was November 18th but do they come in before that? Also there were 3 at the end of last year but I'm not counting on a mass SEO influx again this year, how many have been seen on previous years?

If anybody could help it would be great, thanks

Hi Tom. I think arrivals of SE Owls are a bit unpredictable but when they do turn up they tend to stick about a bit. Probably best to get an indication of when they turn up from the Essex Birders Forum. Not seen/ heard of any locally round Maldon so far this year. Unfortunately I don't think we will get the same amazing arrival as last year. There don't seem to be many reports of juv Brent Geese this year. Last year there were zillions of Lemmings in Scandinavia, hence loads of Owls & Long-tailed Skuas and the Brent goslings were left in peace.

Prior to last year I hadn't seen more than a couple of SEOs at Limbourne. At one point I think 7 or 8 were there last winter. My max was 3 but ace views.

Last edited:
Hi Tom. I think arrivals of SE Owls are a bit unpredictable but when they do turn up they tend to stick about a bit. Probably best to get an indication of when they turn up from the Essex Birders Forum. Not seen/ heard of any locally round Maldon so far this year. Unfortunately I don't think we will get the same amazing arrival as last year. There don't seem to be many reports of juv Brent Geese this year. Last year there were zillions of Lemmings in Scandinavia, hence loads of Owls & Long-tailed Skuas and the Brent goslings were left in peace.

Prior to last year I hadn't seen more than a couple of SEOs at Limbourne. At one point I think 7 or 8 were there last winter. My max was 3 but ace views.

Thanks John, 3 was the most I had too but 1 will be enough for me, had great views eventually, even had one have a scrap with a Hen Harrier and chase off a Marsh Harrier.

The amount of Brent Geese around last year was immense. Couldn't fit the whole flock in the frame.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6417684547_76f18b9487_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6417670313_600253938d_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back