• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (5 Viewers)

Gannet from the sluice at Limbourne Creek today

Still no Owls, maybe if I stop talking about them I'll start seeing them

A Stonechat was present on Baddow meads today, frequenting a berry bush near the two gas markers and the derelict sign on the other side of the river.
A Kingfisher, Song Thrush, Female Kestrel and 2 Swallow were other Highlights.

Nice find! A stonechat is a super bird for the meads. I haven't been there for a few weeks...Also king fisher is a good bird for there aswell.

I've just identified a Siberian Stonechat from photos on the Southend RSPB website www.southendrspb.co.uk local photo web pages.

Bird photographed today and posted as Stonechat but it a super male SibeChat and just about as rare in Essex as Desert Wheatear......

I'll be looking for it first thing in the morning

A Stonechat was present on Baddow meads today, frequenting a berry bush near the two gas markers and the derelict sign on the other side of the river.
A Kingfisher, Song Thrush, Female Kestrel and 2 Swallow were other Highlights.

Good to see the Stonechats are returning - didn't see any last year there (though I remember others doing so) but have in previous years - took this photo of a lovely male near the road bridge in December 2009 (he was on the bank and I took this from across the other side of the river). Saw the Kestrel there on Saturday, seems quite regular now. Interesting there are still some swallows about!

Last edited:
a we sites?

3 little grebes and about 15 meadow pipits on the baddow meads about half an hour ago, plus lots of the regulars - moorhens, woodpigeons and gulls.

Went to Colchester Zoo today and couldn't resist going to see the Desert Wheatear at Abberton, first got there about half 10 and the bird was half way up the causeway, on the way back from the zoo we popped back into Abberton and the bird was in the car park, too bad the light was fading

Haven't got the Desert wheatear yet,had my week planned upto tomorrow and as i am not really a twitcher i dont like to disrupt my days out too much.
was planning on going somewhere tomorrow though and havent decided yet but as i have to work at 2.30pm i think a twitch to abberton is on the cards,anyone know where it has been showing,is it in the main car park all the time????

Bradwell Yesterday

Merlin
Male Hen Harrier
Peregrine
Marsh tit
3 Red Brest Mergansers
Prob GT Nth Diver
5 Corn Buntings
4 Marsh Harrier
c20 Reed Buntings
1 Sanderling
1 Gt crest Grebe
usual waders
Woodcock flushed

the usual naff pictures on my blog,signature below lol

Haven't got the Desert wheatear yet,had my week planned upto tomorrow and as i am not really a twitcher i dont like to disrupt my days out too much.
was planning on going somewhere tomorrow though and havent decided yet but as i have to work at 2.30pm i think a twitch to abberton is on the cards,anyone know where it has been showing,is it in the main car park all the time????

Yes just outside the car park where the work is going on is where I saw it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back