• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Cheers Paul, very helpful as always.

I agree with the Razorbill comment. Had a quick tot up and in the last 10 years I've seen nearly 300 Guillemots in the Thames, but only 19 Razorbills (and 9 of those were on 2 days in the influx of early 2012).

Also, and apologies if I'm being a bit dim here and have missed this in the past, what is the difference between a 'Description' and 'Full Description' on the pdf linked above?

No problem Neil

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned the distinction between “Description” and “Full Description”. Essentially, it is an attempt to show the level of detail required depending on the species.

To give an example, a “Description” species is probably not that difficult to identify, but is rare enough in Essex that a reasonably detailed description is required to show that the observer fully established the identity. Glaucous Gull is such a species – usually only a handful of records in Essex annually and the possibilities of Iceland Gull, pale Herring Gull and hybrids need to be considered and excluded. A feather-by-feather description isn’t necessary, but the description would still need to go beyond “Notes”.

A “Full Description” is for much rarer species in the Essex context and for which the identification is challenging or where there is the very real possibility of confusion with a similar species or with hybrids. Good examples of such species are Black Brant (hybrid problem) and American Golden Plover and Arctic Redpoll (both require good views and careful assessment of a suite of subtle characters to eliminate similar species).

Incidentally, long-staying, well-watched and photographed Essex rarities that are seen by lots of people are now “fast-tracked” on the basis of the photos. It is still preferable to have the finer(s) submit a description for the record and to get the credit in the EBR that they deserve, but it isn’t totally necessary.

Cheers

Paul

Things might be beginning to pick-up at The Naze. Yesterday, the first Yellow-browed Warbler was reported. Not sure where it was seen - the report said "in bushes", which narrows it down a great deal! Today, a Barred Warbler was found by Steve Grimwade, around the John Weston Reserve.

As regularly happens, I failed to see either of these birds. (I think this is becoming quite a general refrain for several others over past weeks!) However, I did manage to get very good views of a pale-phase Arctic Skua at the northern end of The Naze. It was first seen in short flight, then it sat on the shoreline, just beyond the 'lagoons'. At one point, a passing Sandwich Tern mobbed it, which I thought to be a good turn around of 'predatory' behaviour! I see that Brian Coombes reported a pale-phase bird from this vicinity on Saturday, so it may well have decided to take up temporary residence here.

Stewart

Seems to have been a v poor autumn for Arctic Skuas so far - aside from 26/08 - conditions haven't been suitable for any numbers. Whilst some years a few birds are seen throughout the autumn off the ne coast there have hardly been any. Still time though!

The Barred Warbler was present again today at The Naze. It appears loyal to bushes on the north-east side of the John Weston reserve. Standing on the seawall, with the lagoons beside you, it can be seen amongst bushes at the right-hand end of the wooded area of the reserve. Typically, it can prove illusive for long periods, but does emerge to feed on the blackberries.

Stewart

Been away from birding for a few months,simply because ive been too busy from work,something that tends to happen every year,but about now every year I get my birding jiz back but surprised that this forums so quiet,where is everyone and where are the birds???

It getting busier out there! Superb sea watch yesterday with Brent streaming south, particularly after the rain cleared - counted 14,551 but anything between 14,000 and 15,000 given the size of some of the flocks. Good selection of other wildfowl, few skuas (all four species noted) and a Chaffinch arrival (despite over 20 hours of almost continuous rain). Indication was that a few birds had arrived overnight - plenty of Robin and Chiffchaff noise so will see what today brings with lighter winds

Diurnal passage has really kicked off too over the past week - e.g day total of 910 Goldfinch on Saturday so possibly (or in my case) when I'm not busy with work (or making up for it in the evenings!) I'm counting!

Good birding all

Paul

Any suggestions for the best sheltered place to sea watch along the Naze-to-Frinton coast, when it's bucketing down with rain? I have a favoured spot at the southern end of the Naze, but it is very exposed in the rain. Yesterday was so promising for sea watching, but my glasses and optics got soaked and viewing soon got difficult and miserable. After a few Gannets and a Great Skua, I had to give up!

I realise that Paul has a very 'privileged' location, but any suggestion for a roofed sheltered with decent views of the sea would be welcome.

Ta - Stewart

Hi Stewart - agree that we could do with a dedicated sea watching shelter in the area! There aren't many options - there is the shelter next to the children's playground at the southern end of The Naze which I suspect you are referring to but this gives very little shelter when it is blowing and rainy. Otherwise from the car either at the Naze or just south of the kids park. The shelters on the Greenward at Frinton give a far better horizon than that on the lower prom but often don't have the best sight lines due to scrub/trees. The shelter at the bottom of the zig zag path below Connaught Avenue) is where most people seem to head, and is pretty good - but far too low to the sea when stormy like yesterday ( - I was losing birds in the wave troughs from the first floor of the house!). The best shelter on the Greensward is just south of Connaught Avenue - it is set back slightly so birds very close in are at risk of being missed but it is a decent enough shelter with shelter on four sides so works in most conditions
If the family aren't present I am happy to open up the balcony view to observers known to me but yesterday it was just as wet and windy there as anywhere - couldn't see anything through the windows in that weather!
Another option is the shelter at Holland Haven which is also out of the influence of Walton Pier - and most likely place for company - but that was just as damp yesterday too!

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
Been away from birding for a few months,simply because ive been too busy from work,something that tends to happen every year,but about now every year I get my birding jiz back but surprised that this forums so quiet,where is everyone and where are the birds???

Good to have you back Rob.

Patchy probably best sums it up IMO, but TNP is worth a look especially on an easterly. That said - One Monday, you're scratching for a single Bonxie and the next you see 9! The lake is now accessible (with wellies!) and the woodland held a few redwing this eve. Waders building nicely and Stanford Wharf (opposite TNP) is becoming quite productive at all states of the tide. East Tilbury at Coalhouse has produced a few little stint, and curlew sands (Coalhouse Point), with a spoonie popping up ocasionally, (more often on the Kent side).

Regards,

Steve

Just had a look over on the BUBO site. Congratulations to Terry Jeffries for topping 200 birds seen in Essex this year, so far - with two-and-a-half months to go.

Stewart

Need to get out this weekend but not decided where to go yet

Got transport to The Naze? A popular pastime is to go there and stare at Sycamores. - hoping to see Yellow-browed Warblers (or perhaps Pallas's Warbler, by now). Of course, it helps to hone your recognition of calls.

Good luck wherever you go - Stewart

The naze was good today

Black brant lifer
ringed ouzel x 2 lifer
firecrest, not a lifer but good

then some I am not sure about, as posted in the id forum

30 something mippits, welcome to the 20 degree winter everyone.

2 Rough-legged Buzzards at Wallasea today by white gate, 2 Hen Harrier, 3 Ring Ouzel at Gunners Park

Much to the delight of several local birders 1 Rough-legged Buzzard showed very well indeed from the white gate on Wallasea all afternoon, hunting over the wild bird cover & affording excellent views. Also in attendance was a Merlin, Peregrine, ringtail Hen Harrier & 4 Marsh Harriers, with a Common Buzzard beside the road nearby.
Regards, Paul.

Good to have you back Rob.

Patchy probably best sums it up IMO, but TNP is worth a look especially on an easterly. That said - One Monday, you're scratching for a single Bonxie and the next you see 9! The lake is now accessible (with wellies!) and the woodland held a few redwing this eve. Waders building nicely and Stanford Wharf (opposite TNP) is becoming quite productive at all states of the tide. East Tilbury at Coalhouse has produced a few little stint, and curlew sands (Coalhouse Point), with a spoonie popping up ocasionally, (more often on the Kent side).

Regards,

Steve

Will have to make a visit over to Thameside very soon,hope you are well mate

I note there were 36 tree sparrows south over our regular Frinton correspondant this morning. Wonder where they all end up? Do they keep going, or winter in Essex somewhere? Are there any reasonably reliable (winter) spots for tree spadgers these days? There was a wintering flock at Copt Hall by Wigborough a while back, but I don't know if that was just the one year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back