• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Am in Estonia next week for a 5 day small group tour. I have a half day on my own before the tour and wondered if anyone knew any good sites within Tallinn itself (I’m about half way between the airport and coast) insects and plants of almost as much interest as birds as I’m sure the tour will get the birds.

Also how useful are things like Apple Pay and Uber in Tallinn (or Estonia generally but Tallinn is the bit I’m on my own.

Am in Estonia next week for a 5 day small group tour. I have a half day on my own before the tour and wondered if anyone knew any good sites within Tallinn itself (I’m about half way between the airport and coast) insects and plants of almost as much interest as birds as I’m sure the tour will get the birds.

Also how useful are things like Apple Pay and Uber in Tallinn (or Estonia generally but Tallinn is the bit I’m on my own.
You could try Kadriorg Park

Too early for any insect action of any note, especially butterflies - I am 650 km south of Tallinn and there can be limited numbers of butterflies here in Lithuania in the last week of March (eg Large and Yellow-legged Tortoiseshells), but it very much depends on the year and the weather. Almost nothing flying yet this year (one Small Tortoiseshell a week ago is my tally). Estonia is generally going to be even later - but if you get a very warm day, you have a small possibility of one of the tortoiseshells or a Brimstone.

On a bird front, spring has been early this year - big numbers of geese etc have been moving for weeks, it should be very good birding in Estonia.

The Baltic States are generally far advanced of the UK when it comes to digital and mobile services - everything from parking and petrol upwards is routinely available via apps or can be paid by phone, though I have no direct knowledge of Apple Pay. The widespread car ride service in Lithuania is Bolt, not Uber, I think the same in Estonia.

Thank you. I'll have a look at that app. Yes I was told it had been cold so I'm not really expecting butterflies on this trip. Saw an independent trip list from 10 days ago and they had some amazing birds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back