• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies (part 2); ...the end of the beginning (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
Further to the earlier thread Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or ... I attach the second part of the list of names that elude me, comprising non-serial works. Apologies again if some of these have previously been sought. All useful information gratefully received and acknowledged in HBWAlive Key.

●Bradfield, R. D. 1944. New South African ornithological records (pamphlet).
1944 Falco peregrinus wallichensis Bradfield
●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Systematic Notes on Birds of the Northern Caucasus.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
●Mathews, G. M. 1910-1928. The Birds of Australia. Vols. 1-12. London.
1915 Gygis alba monte Mathews, Vol. 2, p. 443
1915 Circus assimilis quirindus Mathews, Vol. 5, p. 23
1918 Nutchera Mathews, Vol. 7, pt. 2, pp. 153, 160
●Mathews, G. M., and Hallstrom, E. J. L. 1943. Notes on the Order Procellariiformes. Canberra.
1943 Julietata Mathews, p. 27
●Meinertzhagen, R., and Nicoll, M. J. 1930. Nicoll’s Birds of Egypt. London.
1930 Prinia gracilis adamsoni Meinertzhagen, p. 237
●Murray, H. 1834. An Encyclopaedia of Geography. London.
1834 Oinobas Swainson, p. 1299
●de Riocour, A. N. F. Comte 1829 Catalogue des oiseaux composant le cabinet de M. le Comte de Riocour à Aulnois, Département de la Meurthe. Nancy.
1829 Dicturus de Riocour, p. 20
●Trischitta, A. 1939. Alcune nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.
1939 Otus scops vincii Trischitta, p. 2
●Trischitta, A. 1939. Altre nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (lettera diretta al Sig. Dott. Renzo Ragioneri) (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.
1939 Turdus philomelos vitalii Trischitta, p.
●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornithofauna of the high mountain range Bassez, its ecological and zoogeographical relationships.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?

Richard Meinertzhagen was in Kenya (e.g. Kenya diary). He seems to be there in the 1930 as well. Therefore it is possible that he had some connection to George Adamson or his wife Joy Adamson.

But I haven't seen the original text/dedication either.

Last edited:
Oinobas Swainson, p. 1299

Have some doubt that here is of any help for the etymology of Oinobas Swainson. In the list under Tanagrinae is not more than Oinobas Sw.. See attached the excerpt of the part,

Attachments

• Tanagerinae.JPG
    Tanagerinae.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 103
Ok, here we go again, but ... here ;) . However, if you´ve lost it:

●Murray, H. 1834. An Encyclopaedia of Geography. London.
1834 Oinobas Swainson, p. 1299
Murray, H. 1834. Encyclopaedia of Geography (a Description of the Earth, physical, statistical, civil, and political), London (here, p.1299 attached)

Enjoy!

/B

PS. Oupps, Martin, you were quicker than me, this time!

PPS. Bradfield, R.D. 1944. New South African ornithological records and new forms. Johannesburg: Privately published ... and thereby hard to find, I guess!?
---

Attachments

• Murray, H. 1834 ... p.1299.jpg
    Murray, H. 1834 ... p.1299.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
More on Oinobas

Maybe of some help regarding the Etymology of "Oinobas"?

See p. 4550 and 4553, here:
Oenobas L. Agassiz, Nomen. Zool. Index Univ. 1846.—emend. pro Oinobas, Swans.
[…]
Oinobas Swainson in Murray, Ency. Geogr. 1834, 1299.—A. [n.n.].
Something with Wine?
---

Last edited:
According Naturalis library which holds Nicoll’s Birds of Egypt on the specific page:

We indeed hold this publication in our library. I searched for information about the name, but I'm afraid there is on that page no explanation about the name, except for the synonym: Prinia gracilis gizae.
So no reference to a person unfortunately.

Nevertheless I don't know if in the book is something like an aknowlegement or any other pages mentioning Adamson.
taht
Regarding 1939 Turdus philomelos vitalii Trischitta, p. it might me helpful to check 1939 Rivista Italiana di Ornitologia, Series 2, Vol 9. p. 236 or The Ibis 1940 p. 578. As well I got a hint very probably was devoted to the entomologist of Messina Francesco Vitale (Trischitta was also from Messina).

Francesco Vitale, nato a Messina il 17 settembre 1861, si spense nella medesima città il 9 febbraio 1953, alla veneranda età di 92 anni.

Means something like Francesco Vitale born 17 September 1861 in Messina and died 9. February 1953

Anyway same for Otus scops vincii it might worth to check Rivista Italiana di Ornitologia, Series 2, Vol 9. p. 234

Last edited:
Prinia gracilis adamsoni

Stockhols universitetsbibliotek (SUB) [Stockholm University Library] also holds Nicoll’s Birds of Egypt ...

I´ll pop by tomorrow for a look.

We´ll see!

Björn

PS.I someone find Trischitta's Altre nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (lettera diretta al Sig. Dott. Renzo Ragioneri) (pamphlet) don´t forget to check the following (from the old thread Antonino P. Trischitta (1892-1966), here.
I am trying to discover the etymologies of the following eponyms created by this Italian ornithologist. I have not seen the two rare pamphlets. Can anyone shed light on these mysteries? With appreciation in advance.

●Trischitta, A. 1939. Alcune nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.
1939 Otus scops vincii Trischitta, p. 2 [syn. Otus scops]

●Trischitta, A. 1939. Altre nuove forme di Uccelli italiani (lettera diretta al Sig. Dott. Renzo Ragioneri) (pamphlet). Tipograf. Arti Grafiche Solunto, Bagheria.

1939 Turdus philomelos vitalii Trischitta, p. [syn. Turdus philomelos]
1939 Emberiza cirlus raffonei Trischitta, p. [syn. Emberiza cirlus]
1939 Parus caeruleus pistoni Trischitta, p. [syn. Cyanistes caeruleus]
James, I assume you still haven´t seen the OD's (in full) of raffonei and pistoni either.

Just to be on the safe side!
---

Last edited:
All harmony, Björn,
I had already edited pistoni and raffonei per the earlier thread, but forgot to acknowledge your input!! Mea culpa. Only Otus scops vincii of Trischitta now needs explaining.
Serenity reigns.
James

Maybe just and small enhancement Antonio Pistone of Massena was as well a botanist. See here or here

Pistone, Antonio, Di alcune cisti tannifere. (Nuovo Giornale Botanico Italiano. Nuova serie. Vol. II. 1896. p. 62-69.)

Dr A. PISTONE è stato nominato primo assistente presso l'Istituto Botanico della R. Università di Messina, e il sig. D. PUGLIATTI secondo assistente presso lo stesso Instituto.

P.S. And yes from The Ibis, Vol 106 p xiv his name is Antonino Pietro Trischitta.

Attachments

• t.JPG
    t.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Last one probably:

See here p. 11 or (12 of 13 in PDF)

Gaetano Vinci n. 24.10.1869 –d. 02.04.1968 (think 24.09.1869 would be correct)

Gaetano Vinci, nato a Messina il 24 settembre 1869

here or here with picture.

Gaetano Vinci, ordinario di farmacologia e Rettore della R. Università di Messina ha partecipato alla Celebrazione

P.S. I think there is a typo in todays HBW Alive entry on vitalii as his last name is Vitale and not Vitali. And as Björn mentioned for his contributions I as well haven't seen the OD.

Last edited:
James, no culpa's was made and there´s no need to acknowledge my input on neither pistoni nor raffonei. In that earlier thread I was only guessing, simply speculating. Hoping for any possible clues or connections to appear. It was mere suggestions, highly likely, plausible explanations and I didn´t claim either one as a fact [which, by the look of it, also goes for Martins (most likely) explanation of vitalii in this thread]. In my MS the OD's (where those names was coined) by Trischitta remain "unseen".

And yes: Serenity sure reigns!

Björn

PS. I´m off, on my way to the SUB.
---

Last edited:
●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornithofauna of the high mountain range Bassez, its ecological and zoogeographical relationships.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
I did not find it, but in Dement'ev & Gladkov's Птицы Советского Союза ("Birds of the Soviet Union"; 6:626), this is cited (in the synonymy of P. m. modularis) as:
Prunella modularis belousovi Уварова. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоологические связи (автореферат). 1950. Сев. Урал.​
...which is probably closer to the original. (The mere use of "ornithofauna" for "avifauna" in English strongly suggests translation from Russian. ;)) This is a form described from the northern Urals ("Сев. Урал."). The name is presumably coined after a Г. (=Mr.) Белоусов, but I haven't been able to trace him. The author (Уварова) is most likely a woman (unless the name is quoted in the genitive case, but the probability for this is slim at best, I think).
Note that in Russian the mountain range doesn't appear to be "Bassez", but "Basseg".

...so Michael John Nicoll MS might be really required to solve adamsoni sufficient. Sorry Björn just got the extract.

Attachments

• n.JPG
    n.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 116
Catalogue des oiseaux composant le cabinet de M. le Comte de Riocour à Aulnois, Dépar

Extract of Catalogue des oiseaux composant le cabinet de M. le Comte de Riocour à Aulnois, Département de la Meurthe from the NHM.

Three species are in the genera Dicturus. Not sure if this helps to explain the etymology.

Attachments

• o.JPG
    o.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 203
Björn, Martin and Laurent,
Your untiring efforts and comments are much appreciated. Alas, sometimes the progress of time prevents me from acting speedily on them. I have immersed myself in bird-names for the last thirty years and have a good idea of how the various old authors' minds worked, so responsibility for the final entry in the HBWAlive Key lies with me. In the absence of anything to the contrary (i.e. sight of the original description), I consider HBWAlive Key entries according to the evidence, suggestions, and links provided, hence "Björn Bergenholtz in litt., Martin Schneider in litt., Laurent Raty in litt." If, however, the original description/diagnosis is provided by BirdForum enthusiasts and I can make a positive (or even negative) decision about the etymology, then the entry includes "OD per Björn Bergenholtz, OD per Martin Schneider".
All serenity.
James

Notes on the Order Procellariiformes

See attached the extract.

Regarding Buturlin it might be worth to search for Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа.-. Махачкала

Attachments

• 00002369.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
With...

...so Michael John Nicoll MS might be really required to solve adamsoni sufficient. Sorry Björn just got the extract.

...I have to correct my assumption

... connection to George Adamson or his wife Joy Adamson.

Reason:
Michael John Nicoll died 31 October, 1926 in Leeds and I do not see a link to Kenya Here is an obituary.
George Adamson went first in year 1924 to Africa and I do not see any link to Egpyt.

But there is an...

Richard Adamson born in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1901

Political unrest in the Egyptian capital of Cairo in 1919 created the necessity for action once again and ‘Volunteers’ were urgently needed to boost the ranks of the military police in Cairo.

See here.

The time (1919), location (Egypt) and a connection to Leeds may indicate that he is the guy we are looking for. He was part of Howard Carters team finding Tutankhamuns tomb here. Sgt. Richard Adamson, a member of Carter's team guarded seven years the burial chamber. Here is even a picture and he died 1982.

And in 1919 Nicoll published Handlist of the Birds of Egypt. By M. J. Nicoll. [With a map.].

Last edited:
No worries, Martin!

It was nice to have a look at Nicoll's birds of Egypt 1930. Two magnificent, large volumes, kept in the vault of SUB's Rarity Collection (thereby not allowed to Photo Copy). It sure is something special, flipping through such genuine, somewhat old, somewhat archaic, but truly beautiful Books!

However, it didn´t help much.

Mr. Meinertzhagen continues on the following page (p.238):
"… [… ] …. The distribution is Giza. No record can be found of either adamsoni or gizæ having been published. An examination of Nicoll's specimens at Giza and of a good series in various collections in England does not substantiate these forms, and it is probable that Nicoll himself would never have published them.

Both the "P. g. adamsoni" and "P. g. gizae" are mentioned by Mr. Meinertzhagen in the entry of Prinia gracilis deltae [REICHENOW 1904].

That´s all! No mentioning of any Adamson anywhere, not that I could find, which isn´t that strange, since he was an acquaintance of Mr. Nicoll, not of Meinertzhagen.

Handlist of the birds of Egypt by M.J. Nicoll, here, with the Prinia gracilis deltae on Plate XXV), fig. 5.

But no Adamson there either. Not that I can see anyhow.

I think the last clue is to look for a (Mr.) Adamson in some way connected to either Nicoll, Giza or gracilis alt. deltae. That might lead us a bit further. Or maybe just up another dead end.

Good luck in any further attempts!

Björn

PS. Martin, Michael John Nicoll did die in Leeds, but the 31st of October 1925. At least according to Meinertzhagen's long Preface in the above-mentioned work. And according to the Obituary you linked to. Typo? ;)
---

Last edited:
New South African ornithological records

PS. Martin, Michael John Nicoll did die in Leeds, but the 31st of October 1925. At least according to Meinertzhagen's long Preface in the above-mentioned work. And according to the Obituary you linked to. Typo? ;)
---

Of couse a typo. Schame on me. 3:)

Attached New South African ornithological records part relevant. I am not sure but think Wallichensis Bay could be todays Walvis Bay as it is the closest Bay I found to Swakopmund.

Attachments

• Bradfield 1944-1.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back