• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian/short-toed treecreepers -- Cottbus, Germany (1 Viewer)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Hi, is it possible to id these treecreepers from some distant photos? Both species are generally present in the area. There were no audible calls.

Bird 1:

tc1a.JPGtc1b.JPG

Bird 2 (may be the same bird -- I saw them a few minutes apart):

tc2.JPG

Thanks!

Bird 2 (may be the same bird -- I saw them a few minutes apart):

tc2.JPG
Short-Toed? Supercilium looks too big (from Wikipedia images) for Eurasian.

Is that a known ID criterion?
Agree with you, Butty. And more: while variable, its often/regularthe other way round:
Eurasian has a long supercilium that often reaches far down the neck= flaring into the nape and is equally distinct in fron of the eye, while in Short-toed is often/regular indistincter in fron of the eye=doesnt seem to reach the bill.

For the ID: your pictures show well, how hard it is to be certain with the fine features with unsharp pictures (no offense as always). For the first bird: it seems that even the rear-flanks are pure white, lacking even the finest brownish hue. If this indeed the case, then I think its a quite sure Eurasian TC, while I cant ID the second bird and even could decide, which species would be a better fit (even in quiz modus, I would let a coin decide). No offense, again.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back