• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Ban On Wild Bird Trade Permanent (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Good to hear a discussion on radio four this morning about the European ban on the wild bird trade being made permanent. Why or why though does some one always bring up the point that actions could be driven underground when made ilegal. That kind of argument does not wash with me. If something is 'bad' it ought to be formerly acknowledged as such and as in this case made ilegal IMO.

Shame it took the threat of bird flu to bring about this kind of action although I still think that action from groups like the RSPB and individual letters to MPs helped. Whilst I accept action by Joe and Jill Bloggs may not always get results, I am damn sure non action brings even less!!!

Between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 birds have been imported into Europe annualy according to the programe I heard. No doubt putting some species at risk. Well done all who acted :clap: Now let us hope all countries in the European Union ensure they act toughly against anyone who breaks the rules.
Conservation 1 Couldn't care less bods 0

http://www.rspb.org.uk/policy/wildbirdslaw/banbirdtrade/index.asp

Last edited:
Hi Brian,

I'm with you on your comments. Of course SOME of the trade will 'go underground' but the important thing is the 'SOME', most of it will stop. Just because you can't stop a thing completely is no excuse for not trying and stopping most of it.

By the same token, doing what little you can against a wrong is better than doing nothing at all. I forget who it was that said 'There are no big savings, just an accumulation of small ones'. Constant small pressures build up over time.

Well done the EU (for once).

Bill.

HFeveryone,
I fully agree with all previous comments, but we should keep what pressure we can, on those that implement the rules.
George

Thanks for that Brian, I hadn't picked it up. Well done indeed to all concerned. All together now: Hip, Hip, Hooray x 3.

All the best.
Baz.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back