• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Eagle Owl loose in Essex!!!! Lock up your Children (1 Viewer)

Doug

I have just heard on the BBC that a guy has lost a European Eagle Owl while flying it in a park in Ilford, Essex. he says it will now be getting hungry and looking for something around the size of a small dog or cat for lunch - eye's peeled people.... and let's be careful out there!

"Lock up your children". No, take them along to see this magnificent creature. Unless they grow up to travel abroad (from the UK) they may never see such a bird flying free again. I think they are majestic and even if an odd cat goes missing, well, it should have been more careful.

Eddie

<I think they are majestic and even if an odd cat goes missing,>

Now there's a thought. The cat becomes the hunted.

Without seeing the evidence I'd be surprised if it was killed by a fox. Hit by a car and then scavenged maybe.
It would have to be one hell of a (large, brave) fox to take on an healthy Bubo bubo.

I have to agree with Esmond. Unless it was overweight, slow and pampered through years in captivity then maybe but a real, wild Eagle Owl in it prime, well my money would not be on the fox.

In fact, owls especially the bigger one are not to be messed with. I believe a well know bird photographer lost an eye to an owl.

Eddie

Last edited:
I would be very surprised If a fox had killed a european eagle owl,unless the owl was ill/injured in some way.Bearing in mind that it`s counterpart the Siberian Eagle owl can kill a wolf!!.

Steve said:
I understand the Owl has been killed by a fox.

That's nothing. I heard that a chihuahua killed an alsatian in Aylesbury the other day - it got stuck in its throat. Hup! ;)

Note to John Jackson - Now THAT'S a joke!

For those interested, a pair of Eagle Owl bred on a balcony at
the Hatfield Country Club in 2002 and were seen taking large prey that included Muntjac deer!

Robin Pearson said:
For those interested, a pair of Eagle Owl bred on a balcony at
the Hatfield Country Club in 2002 and were seen taking large prey that included Muntjac deer!
Damn, I tried to join that club & was told there was a waiting list. How did those Owls get in before me? :eek!:

having watched these birds in the wild (yes, in the UK!), they are indeed HUGE owls........

they eat anything they can get there talons on, but mainly rabbits - these being the most abundant prey in england, so it would sugest the owl was prehaps hit by a car etc, or even eating prey - then was attacked by said fox?

yes, a fox is small compared to an eagle owl, but they can be very savage when it comes to collecting food for there own young......

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back