• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exploring Australia by 4x4 June-December 2011 (1 Viewer)

haha - I'm aware of that Mike, I've tried to do it before ;)

OK, so you're saying a less bulky Satin-bowerbird-type-bird? Can you give me a bird that has a similar flight/behaviour to the one you saw?

haha - I'm aware of that Mike, I've tried to do it before ;)

OK, so you're saying a less bulky Satin-bowerbird-type-bird? Can you give me a bird that has a similar flight/behaviour to the one you saw?

Just the Common Myna...

We've been round the Griffith Trail today (3 Dec). Although it was sunny, the wind was consistently quite strong, and the temperature out of the sun was only 16 C! Again, fairly few birds; most of those calling or singing were about 4-5 metres off the track in vegetation taller than us! The waterlogging is not so bad, but quite a bit of track has been eroded recently.
MJB

We'd intended to try an early-morning dash to Barren Grounds before leaving for the Sydney area, but torrential rain put an end to that idea. On the way to Sydney, we then ran into thick mist (low cloud really) on the freeway, so we got off on to ordinary roads where a low safe speed of 60km/h didn't run so much of a risk of being rear-ended! So, if we had stopped to bird, we couldn't have seen any! No sooner were we out of the mist, than we ran into very gusty wind, with bits of eucalyptus performing interesting aerial manoeuvres. On to Sydney (Wolli Creek, really) where the rain returned, with a bit of thunder.

Still, we had enjoyed Barren Grounds for an unexpected reason - the appearance of a host of butterflies and more than a few attractive plants, so here goes!
MJB

Attachments

• Butterfly ID.JPG
    Butterfly ID.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Butterfly ID 2 query.JPG
    Butterfly ID 2 query.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Plant ID query.JPG
    Plant ID query.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Snake ID query.JPG
    Snake ID query.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Which species query.JPG
    Which species query.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 37
Just a couple more pics from Barren Grounds and two from Minamurra the day before. The cuckoo was calling non-stop, because there was another male within 10 metres, but hidden from our sight.
MJB

Attachments

• Brush Cuckoo.JPG
    Brush Cuckoo.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Wedgie & Magpie Lark.JPG
    Wedgie & Magpie Lark.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Sue of the jungle.JPG
    Sue of the jungle.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Sue & small tree she'd like to take home.JPG
    Sue & small tree she'd like to take home.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 30
The photos show butterflies that I have never seen. However, looking in Michael F. Braby's The Complete Field Guide to Butterflies of Australia the first photo looks a lot like the illustration of a female wonder brown. The two differences with the illustration is that it shows a dark brown colour, not black, and the band on the forewing is white, not that striking yellow colour. Maybe you should put your butterfly queries in the butterfly etc forum (if you haven't already)? Good luck for a reply!

Allen

The photos show butterflies that I have never seen. However, looking in Michael F. Braby's The Complete Field Guide to Butterflies of Australia the first photo looks a lot like the illustration of a female wonder brown. The two differences with the illustration is that it shows a dark brown colour, not black, and the band on the forewing is white, not that striking yellow colour. Maybe you should put your butterfly queries in the butterfly etc forum (if you haven't already)? Good luck for a reply! Allen

Thanks, Allen! We can confirm that the ground colour was black/near black and the forewing colour (on this individual) was indeed yellow. Most of the similar butterflies seen (that kept moving) appeared to have orange forewing colour; males? We also saw several other butterfly species in much smaller numbers, but none hung around for their portraits. A good few beetle/bug species were also lumbering about, but apart from Grey (and one Rufous) Fantails, there was no flycatching going on (no Willie Wagtails!).
MJB

Today in Sydney, the weather was foul, heavy rain showers and gusty winds making it feel much colder than when I was here six months ago. I've begun checking through our early pics in some detail. Here are some from June, including a parrot whose ID we can't confirm from the field guides - none show a black line ahead of the wingfold! I'll be putting a few more on later.
MJB

Attachments

• A. June bird - Bell Miner.JPG
    A. June bird - Bell Miner.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 37
  • A. June bird - Bluebonnet.JPG
    A. June bird - Bluebonnet.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 35
  • A. June bird - Double-barred Finch.JPG
    A. June bird - Double-barred Finch.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 25
  • A. June bird - Rock Warbler.JPG
    A. June bird - Rock Warbler.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 31
  • A. June bird - parrot ID.JPG
    A. June bird - parrot ID.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 39
I've got time for the next five pics.
MJB

Attachments

• A. June bird - Purple Swamphen.JPG
    A. June bird - Purple Swamphen.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A. June bird - Satin Bowerbird.JPG
    A. June bird - Satin Bowerbird.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 27
  • A. June bird - Turquoise Parrot.JPG
    A. June bird - Turquoise Parrot.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 24
  • B. July bird - Apostlebird.JPG
    B. July bird - Apostlebird.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 26
  • B. July bird - Australian Magpie.JPG
    B. July bird - Australian Magpie.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 37
Guys, are you saying that Barren Grounds are not do-able at dusk because of access, or is it a case of last one out shuts the gate? I was thinking of doing a dusk visit torwards end of next week.

Guys, are you saying that Barren Grounds are not do-able at dusk because of access, or is it a case of last one out shuts the gate? I was thinking of doing a dusk visit torwards end of next week.

Also wondering about this. Is this a new thing? When we went a couple of years ago we had no trouble sleeping over in our van in the car park.

Also wondering about this. Is this a new thing? When we went a couple of years ago we had no trouble sleeping over in our van in the car park.

Larry,
All I'm saying is that there was a sign there that said the barrier was closed at dusk. I've no way of knowing whether this applies/no longer applies. Anyone wanting to go there should check with whoever runs the reserve... There are also a couple of newish and rather emphatic signs by the privately-owned houses just before the barrier, indicating PRIVATE PROPERTY NO ENTRY, or something of that ilk - they must be fed up of people parking in or wandering through their gardens.
MJB

I agree with female King Parrot, although that black line is a little odd.

Thanks for the responses, John of WA and Azzy. That was our thought, but the odd black line made us wonder. An errant immature Superb Parrot did cross our minds as a possibility...

Anyway, a few more July birds. Note our nickname for the Crested Pigeon - 'Pichlhaubetaube' - it's based loosely on the name for the German spiked helmet in WW1 - Pichlhaube - and the German for dove, Taube; it's pronounced Peechl (ch as in 'loch') how-bih tow (rhyming with 'now') bih.
MJB

Attachments

• B. July bird - Beach Stone-curlew.JPG
    B. July bird - Beach Stone-curlew.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 24
  • B. July bird - Bush Stone-curlew.JPG
    B. July bird - Bush Stone-curlew.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 20
  • B. July bird - combative Magpie Lark.JPG
    B. July bird - combative Magpie Lark.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 30
  • B. July bird - Common Myna.JPG
    B. July bird - Common Myna.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 20
  • B. July bird - Crested Pigeon - Pichlhaubetaube.JPG
    B. July bird - Crested Pigeon - Pichlhaubetaube.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 30
I'm far from expert, but there must be a pretty good chance that your snake is a Red-bellied Black.

Thanks, Stuart - we're also aware from several sources, that more than a few snake species vary a lot in appearance over their geographical distribution, so our snake policy is: See it, stop, slowly edge away if it shows any sign of agitation, otherwise take a quick picture, then slowly edge away! Thank goodness for zoom lenses on digital cameras!

Incidentally, I'd appreciate comment on the blurred bird (taken in poor light)pic that accompanied the snake & butterfly pics.

Some more bird pictures.
MJB

Attachments

• B. July bird - Eastern Yellow Robin.JPG
    B. July bird - Eastern Yellow Robin.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 48
  • B. July bird - Emu in McEnroe mode.JPG
    B. July bird - Emu in McEnroe mode.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 40
  • B. July bird - Figbird.JPG
    B. July bird - Figbird.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 29
  • B. July bird - Green Catbird.JPG
    B. July bird - Green Catbird.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 32
  • B. July bird - Mistletoe Bird.JPG
    B. July bird - Mistletoe Bird.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 41
Surely the 'black line' on the parrot is just the breast feathers being displaced by the closed wing? Nice Beach Stonies - great birds!!

White-browed Scrubwren (ssp frontalis?) for me

There certainly were some of these nearby, so that's the favourite, but it did look rather different to the many dozens we've encountered (of various sspp) and kept to the upper parts of the background bushes when it quickly fled from the viewfinder.
MJB
PS More pics

Attachments

• B. July bird - New Holland Honeyeater.JPG
    B. July bird - New Holland Honeyeater.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 41
  • B. July bird - Olive-backed Sunbird.JPG
    B. July bird - Olive-backed Sunbird.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 45
  • B. July bird - Pale-headed Rosella.JPG
    B. July bird - Pale-headed Rosella.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 39
  • B. July bird - Papuan Frogmouth.JPG
    B. July bird - Papuan Frogmouth.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 39
  • B. July bird - Plumed Whistling Duck.JPG
    B. July bird - Plumed Whistling Duck.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, it's a White-browed Scrubbie

In regards to Barren Grounds, Birds Australia handed it over to National Parks a few years back, and they shut the gates every night. You can walk in at night (about 1km to the heath), just not drive in.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back