• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External Microphone for a smart phone (1 Viewer)

MacHector

Hi All

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external microphone to attach to my iphone to help with some admittedly very rudimentary bird sound recording?

Thanks

Andrew

Are you looking to do general atmospheric recording or do you want to focus on a particular bird?

The iQ6 is a great mic to turn an iPhone into a stereo recorder.

If you want a more directional mic then try this.

IRig make a whole host of phone audio products. From hobbyist up to broadcast standards.

Last edited:
Hi All

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external microphone to attach to my iphone to help with some admittedly very rudimentary bird sound recording?

Thanks

Andrew

You also have small directional mics for video now, apparently with better specs than they used to:
etc.​
The advantage is that they have their own power.

That said I went for a separate recorder and don't own any of these...

Here is a link with more details about many models that are commonly used: Best shotgun mic for location sound

Last edited:
I use the small Audio-Technica AT8024 that is very compact (fits in a jacket pocket, has mono or stereo options, and is powered by one AA internal battery. I use a TRS to Lightning adapter cable to connect it to the smartphone. The $250 price includes a dead cat or Fuzzy Windscreen that works well enough with outdoor conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back