• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Spotting Scope, Estuary viewing. Long time birdwatching, no scope experience. (1 Viewer)

callows

Northern Ireland
I'm trying again this autumn, as the geese are back again and my longing to get a better look than through my 8x30 binoculars resurfaces. I thought I was buying a Nikon ED80 last autumn, from a seller on here, but unfortunately the seller lost touch, probably due to the holiday period lag, which is understandable but a pity.

So here I go again: Birdwatching for 40 years, with binoculars only. Moved beside an estuary, and I think I'm looking for a good second hand scope, angled if possible, 60 to 80 wide lens, understand the 60 is less bright but lighter and more portable, with a zoom eyepiece which might suit a beginner, or a decent zoom fixed?

I would welcome advice from anyone who could make this a little less complicated. I have read through threads that remind me of sitting exams.

Saw an adverts for:
Spotting Scope Angled - Helios Fieldmaster ED82-DS Triplet +20-60x
or
Nikon Fieldscope ED III D=60 Black w/ DS 40x 50x Eyepiece (JAPAN).
Very few of the ones from Japan are angled.

My binoculars are Opticron, and I saw mention of them on similar threads, but after that I'm lost.

Thanks to anyone who can provide advice.

Do you have an idea of budget? I can personally vouch for the Leica APO Televid 62 if you're willing to go second hand. There is a pretty good deal on the 'Classifieds' section of Birdforum https://www.birdforum.net/threads/leica-apo-televid-62mm.442574/ which comes with a zoom and a fixed mag eyepiece and a stay-on case. The only trouble is, support will be unpredictable if it needs attention in the future. I've been using mine trouble-free since 2004 and its an excellent scope. I'm sure others will also offer useful advice.

RB

Opticron 60mm MM4, different eyepiece options, available secondhand. My normal go-to scope when I want to the walk around a lot. Does your budget include a tripod, as you’ll need a reasonable one, preferably with a fluid head. With scopes you’ll find that you never have enough magnification, but then that rabbit hole gives dimmer images. I tend to use lower powers and enjoy what the scope allows to me to see beyond binoculars.

Peter

Where are you based ?
If at all possible, I would recommend going to a physical shop, setting a budget before you go and then looking at/through the ‘scope before committing yourself.
Don't discount second hand 'scopes. Plenty of people about who look after their equipment really well and who them trade them in for an upgrade.
good luck and let us know how you get on

cheers Mike. I'm based near Newry in Co. Down Northern Ireland. I would be happy with a good second hand, if I felt it was right.
callows,

I would normally recommend a field day where dealers visit nature reserves with binoculars and telescopes and you can try them out in the wild but I can't find any for Northern Ireland. Someone else on the forum may be able to help with that. I therefore second Mike's advice to find a dealer with a shop. According to the Opticron website your nearest dealer is J GOULD & SON LTD at 82 Abbey St Bangor, telephone 028 91271091. It looks like it's 60miles away from Newry, but I think would be worth making the trip if you can.

callows,

I would normally recommend a field day where dealers visit nature reserves with binoculars and telescopes and you can try them out in the wild but I can't find any for Northern Ireland. Someone else on the forum may be able to help with that. I therefore second Mike's advice to find a dealer with a shop. According to the Opticron website your nearest dealer is J GOULD & SON LTD at 82 Abbey St Bangor, telephone 028 91271091. It looks like it's 60miles away from Newry, but I think would be worth making the trip if you can.
Thanks John. I'll look into that store and if they have anything, I can get to to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back