• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fat Bird disease (1 Viewer)

Polymerista

France
I have had two coal tits visiting my shelled sunflower seed feeder. In the summer I take the feeders down for several weeks. What do I do in the winter, temperatures are below freezing and the birds are dependent on me. I wash the feeder each time I fill it which is every two days. I have a large flock of goldfinches, chaffinches, white crowned sparrows, blackbirds, and a pair of collared doves. what should I do?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have had two coal tits visiting my shelled sunflower seed feeder. In the summer I take the feeders down for several weeks. What do I do in the winter, temperatures are below freezing and the birds are dependent on me. I wash the feeder each time I fill it which is every two days. I have a large flock of goldfinches, chaffinches, white crowned sparrows, blackbirds, and a pair of collared doves. what should I do?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
You'll have a stampede of twitchers if you have White-crowned Sparrows!

I don't see why you can't hang fat balls, what is this disease you speak of?

Hi Polymerista and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the more appropriate Food and Feeders section, where more people are likely to see it.

However, I'm not aware of "fat bird disease" so cannot help you with that. You seem to be doing the right things in washing your feeders regularly though.

I'm puzzled by your reference to White-crowned Sparrows, as they are an American species and don't normally come to this side of the Atlantic (I won't say "never" but it would be very unusual to have them)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome aboard and the winter more than any other time of year is when the feeders should be full and hung out.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I don’t know what fat bird disease is. We put out mixed bird seed, suet balls, peanuts and Niger seed as well as fruit and we make sure there is water for drinking and bathing all year round.

I imagine it's that common bird disease where birds such as Chaffinch sit fluffed up and lethargic, can't see or move well - forget its name myself. (Lost in translation from the French).

EDIT: Ah - see post #5 above ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back