• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tray feeder height for Blue Jay's? (2 Viewers)

RiDave

United States
Hello!

I have a bunch of assorted feeders, all of them protected against squirrels. Unfortunately Blue Jay's, Cardinals, and Morning Dove's are inadvertently excluded (and I want to change that).

This week I put up a tray feeder high enough from my multiple Sheppard Hooks to keep squirrels from jumping to it, at about 9-feet 5-inches from ground to base-of-feeder. But, the Jay's and MD's ignore it, pecking on the ground for the food dropped from the other feeders. FYI, the feeder has sunflower seeds and shell-on peanuts in it.

I've searched and searched and cannot find a recommended height. I'm certainly they can see it as they swoop down from nearby trees, so I'm not sure what's wrong (other than it's too new so they are intentionally avoiding it).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Both seem to prefer lower feeders so I'd try moving it down a bit and keep moving it down a bit more until you see them enjoying their food ;)

Hi there RiDave and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like :)

Hello KC Foggin!

Good news...I took your advice and achieved success!

Because I'm using conduit, it made the most sense to cut only a bit at a time, until I attracted someone. Sure enough there was success this morning! Blue Jay's started grabbing the in-shell peanuts like crazy, stuffing one down their throat and grabbing a second in their beaks. It was odd at first because it looked like they were swallowing the thing whole, but I could clearly see what they were doing after a bit. Probably obviously, they emptied it pretty quick and then started eating on the sunflower seeds. I've refilled it again.

Now I have to find somewhere that sells bigger bags, because at this rate I'm going to go through a bag every 3 days or so. Oh by the way, the ultimate height turned out to be around the same level as my existing feeders. Apparently they didn't like the idea of the odd-one-out being the one they had to eat at. Go figure!

Thank you so much!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back