• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feb 12/24 - Otter Lake, B.C. Canada (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

These photos, taken last week, are of Swans, but I can't tell the difference between Tundra and Trumpeter swans. I've had other birders tell me they are Trumpeter Swans. Tundra Swans are much more common in our area. Thanks for any help in how to identify.

Attachments

• Swan Feb 12 24 IMGP6487-topaz-denoise-enhance-4x.jpg
    Swan Feb 12 24 IMGP6487-topaz-denoise-enhance-4x.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • Swan Feb 12 24 IMGP6497-topaz-denoise-enhance-4x.jpg
    Swan Feb 12 24 IMGP6497-topaz-denoise-enhance-4x.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 65
  • Swan Feb 12 24 MGP6483-topaz-enhance-4x.jpg
    Swan Feb 12 24 MGP6483-topaz-enhance-4x.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 65
Bill shape, the amount of black between the eye and bill are the main things to look at. Tundra also often has a yellow spot in this spot.

when you have them next to each other, size and how white they are can be significant (trumpeter being dirtier and larger).

The 2nd bird in the first photo looks pretty classic for Trumpeter (bill) but the bird in front has some odd photo effects it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back