• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder abandoned? (1 Viewer)

dscherman

I've been enjoying my new feeder for the last month or two, getting regular visits from chickadees, titmice, goldfinches and the occasional chipping sparrow.

All of a sudden, in the last day or two, there have been no birds either on the feeder or in the nearby stand of small, leafy trees. I've got a couple of thoughts as to why this might be -- the presence of a predator (there are a couple of cats who lurk about, but I haven't seen any evidence of catches; there is also an owl, but I've only heard him once). Another guess is that the birds' offspring has hatched, and they are now feeding on insects, with no need for seed in their diets. A third possibility: while this is a "squirrel-proof" feeder, the squirrels haven't yet given up trying to get at the seed, and they jump from a short distance onto the feeder with a great, scrambling impact. Would this scare the birds away permanently?

Anybody have any thoughts about this? Suggestions/advice appreciated.

Dave
:-C

If you knew how many squirrels I deal with on a daily basis, you would know that it doesn't impact the birds. ;)

There is much more natural food available now and my seed feeders are getting a break right now as all the parents are cramming in the hot pepper suet and carrying it away in mouthfuls. I guess it's easier shoving the suet down than it is the constant trips to the seed feeders. A hawk is a possibility but rest assured, it is all temporary.

Do you have a water feature nearby by? Water is a great way to attract birds. Also, birds do tend to avoid dirty feeders. Be sure to give them a thorough cleaning monthly.

Funny you should suggest those things. I cleaned the birdbath and the feeder just the other day, and the birds seem to be returning -- slowly, but surely. Thanks for the suggestions!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back