• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisty Mr Blackbird! (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
My male Blackbird has become a crazy attacking dive bomber today! I'm really shocked, I've seen him chase off Starlings, sparrows and a pair of tresspassing Blackbirds that keep coming, but today he's been dive bombing WOOD PIGEONS, and really aggressively too! I felt pretty sorry for them, they come regularly for seed that drops out of the feeder, and he's never bin bothered with them before. It's strange he's suddenly become even more territorial.

"My" Blackbird has become addicted to Raisins! He did make a mistake this morning he nabbed one from the small pot and then dropped it on to the floor and had it snaffled by an opportunistic House Sparrow.

How did the exams go Laura? Or shouldnn't I ask?

pduxon said:
"My" Blackbird has become addicted to Raisins! He did make a mistake this morning he nabbed one from the small pot and then dropped it on to the floor and had it snaffled by an opportunistic House Sparrow.

How did the exams go Laura? Or shouldnn't I ask?

I could start Raisin-a-holics anonymous in my garden, hehehehe. I started feeding the adults on the raisins, leaving em out under the christmas tree by the back door. Soon enough the birds would be perched on the bin so they could see through the kitchen window, watching for me coming home. So then I started feeding them and they've become very tame- and now all the fledglings come and scrap with their Mum and Dad for the raisins too, not to mention the starlings and the trespassing blackbirds who come and steal when they get the chance.

If you want some entertainment, put out the core of a pear, with some still left on of course. A load of starlings came down for that with fledglings and fought with the blackbird fledglings, and the woodpigeons I think felt left out because they wandered dopily down the garden... they make me laugh so much, as yes seb_seb they are really dozy. The other day one spent ages deciding whether to fly into the tree from the birdbath or not, he kept looking up, looking down, twitching about... when he finally did decide, he was practically too big for the tree as it's a dwarf one anyway so a lot of the branches are too thin... then he clumsily climbed up a branch and leaned to peck at the plastic which he could see the seeds through. I don't know why he went to the trouble as there are always loads of seeds on the grass what other birds have flicked out (Greenfinches are terrible for that). Then the other day two of them were so cautious about a wire in the garden (it was an extension cable so I could have electrics in the garden). They took ages to step over it; kept on going up to it and then putting out one foot but then deciding against it. So comical.

Anyways yeah- the exams were fine thanks! Get my results this week. I'm confident I did well so I'm not concerned. I did a philosophy degree and the exams questions are pre-released, which is good coz it means you don't waste time 'revising' for stuff that ends up not being on the paper. I prepare my answers beforehand and then memorise them and I reckon I remembered all of it and I've got good marks when I've done that in the past, so all should be fine!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back