• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Italian Sparrow? (Greece, Crete) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi there,

could this be a female Italian Sparrow?
Seen in Greece, Crete, Faraggi Aposelemi, 14. April 2014

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 52
For me the bill (both size and colour) would make this bird stand out among female House Sparrows in the UK. Wasn't there a recent thread in which a Spanish x House Sparrow hybrid was, if not proved, then close to it in the UK on bill size (measured when ringed)?

Hello,
I agree with Steve, the bill is on the large side for a House Sparrow from Germany, too. I have seen female-typed House Sparrows with a blackish bill before, but they are rare, and I agree with Steve again, that this bird would stand out by this and its large-headed jizz (dont know if this a feature of Spanish Sparrow).

But I agree with Butty, that as House Sparrow is variable and the mentioned features are small/subtile, at least I cant ID this bird with confidence.

The thread Steve mentioned is this: Variability in House Sparrows, or could I have breeding female Spanish Sparrow [NW UK] One of the most interesting threads in recent times for me, thanks to Jane Turner for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back