• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Guides for Kenya (1 Viewer)

fr0sty

Hi All

I would be interested on hearing emebers opinions on the best guide or guides covering Kenya - as I need to gen up before my November trip

Thanks in advance

David

Hi Dave,

You could look at "Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa"by Stevenson and Fanshawe(T & AD Poyser,London,2002),for Kenya.

A book to give you a general overview of Africa is "Birds of Africa,South of the Sahara"by I.Sinclair & P.Ryan(Struik,2003).

Cheers

Mark

The book I used when I was out there, is "Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania" by Zimmerman, Turner and Pearson. Have a look at my website www.smithssafaris.co.uk to see what you are in for. I wish I was going back this year.

thinking of going next year myself.........never been abroad before :eek!:

aint even got my passport yet!

Vipers said:
The book I used when I was out there, is "Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania" by Zimmerman, Turner and Pearson. Have a look at my website www.smithssafaris.co.uk to see what you are in for. I wish I was going back this year.
This one served me very well too. If you are going to the coast then there should be a trip report (mine) somewhere on BF.

Both the Zimmerman (Kenya and N Tanzania) and Stevenson and Fanshawe (East Africa) guides are first-rate but both are big and chunky for carrying in the field, though fine when you are restricted to a vehicle as you are a lot of the time in the national parks.

For actually carrying with you when walking I recommend the Collins Illustrated Checklist, Birds of eastern Africa, by Ber Van Perlo. This is much smaller than the others, nothing like as informative or authoritative, but a useful true field-guide.

I am taking it and the East Africa book as my main ones for a western Kenya trip next Thursday.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back