• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fiesol Tripod (1 Viewer)

I have one of the Feisol large Tournament class CF tripods (3372) and it is superb, very well made, light and very stable.
BTW Andrew Feisol have a UK distributor here

I've had a Fiesol CF type (at work now can't remember model) tripod for over 2 years. I think it is an excellent piece of equipment, and would not hesitate buying another one.

Just noticed my mispelling of the brand name!

Thanks Roy and Lisa. It certainly looks a sturdy piece of kit and comparable to a Gitzo. I think I shall go for one of these tripods with add ons at a later date as I see the need arise (and money becomes plentiful ;) ).

Another happy customer here! Would not hesitate to buy one in the future. As I live in Kazakhstan I am using it during the winter months in extreme conditions with temperatures reaching minus 40. Still everything works well and doesn't break off.... :)

Cheers Machiel

Thanks for the reply Machiel, that is a high endorsement of the quality of this brand!

I currently favour the CT-3301. I had a look at the 3372 after the above posts but I feel this might be overkill for a 400mm f/5.6 lens?

I had a look at the 3372 after the above posts but I feel this might be overkill for a 400mm f/5.6 lens?
Yes, you are right Andrew, although I only had the 400/5.6 when I bought it I did so with a future upgrade to a heavier lens in mind.

I don't have a tripod but I do have a Feisol carbon fibre hand cart & ball head. Both seem very well made to me.
Their UK distributer was very helpful when I had a problem understanding the ball head connection -rang up to sort things out.

Keep in mind what Roy C says. You have this lens now but if you are serious about photographing and maybe thinking about buying a 500mm F.4 or a 400mm 2.8 in the future you might need to change tripod again. You might take this piece of advice in mind when picking your tripod now.

KR Machiel

Another happy customer here! Would not hesitate to buy one in the future. As I live in Kazakhstan I am using it during the winter months in extreme conditions with temperatures reaching minus 40. Still everything works well and doesn't break off.... :)

Cheers Machiel

Hi Machiel, I've just got to ask, what birds do you see when it's minus 40?

I had a look at your web site, must be a fascinating location.

Cheers

Peter

Flocks of 3000 Black Larks, Snowy Owl, White-tailed Eagles, Long-tailed Rosefinches, Pine Buntings and finally Azure Tits show up. That is about it for the extreme days. Honestly you don't be birding long out when these temperatures are reached. Mainly 1 hour out and then back in the car. Spring and summer are much more pleasant here for birding! :)

Keep in mind what Roy C says. You have this lens now but if you are serious about photographing and maybe thinking about buying a 500mm F.4 or a 400mm 2.8 in the future you might need to change tripod again. You might take this piece of advice in mind when picking your tripod now.

KR Machiel

Thanks Machiel. At present I think I shall stick with the 400mm as it suits me down to the ground being a good walkabout lens. I am too much of a birder to go 'full time' into photography for now so the essential needs in a tripod will suffice I think.

I have had some instances of desiring longer reach but have got a grip on it so far.

Touch wood!!! ;)

I have a 3342 and it is extreamly well made. Biggest lens right now is a Nikon 80-400.

Thanks. The specs say the maximum height is 142cm which is impressive considering my 'height'. Is this with an extended column or none?

Last edited:
Andrew.

That is without the center column. I did not even get a center column. As far as I am concerned using a center column almost turns the set up into a monopod. Better off without one.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

I got my Feisol CT3342 tripod today. Very pricey but unbelievably light as a feather, smooth legs and so tall!

Cheers,
Andrew.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

I got my Feisol CT3342 tripod today. Very pricey but unbelievably light as a feather, smooth legs and so tall!

Cheers,
Andrew.
Nice one Andrew, They are superbly made tripod's - enjoy!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back