• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finally getting it (1 Viewer)

impotentspider

Finally getting to grips with my new lens, (I mastered the new camera after ten minutes)

Whats everyones views on pics of birds in captivity? of which one of these is, unless you count swans that are ringed.

Comments (even bad ones) and suggestions most welcome.

Attachments

• Flamingo.jpg
    Flamingo.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Blue Tit.jpg
    Blue Tit.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Love at first sight.jpg
    Love at first sight.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 153
impotentspider said:
Finally getting to grips with my new lens, (I mastered the new camera after ten minutes)

Whats everyones views on pics of birds in captivity? of which one of these is, unless you count swans that are ringed.

very nice,especially like the pose of the swans.
its a pity about the twigs over the blue tit but you got the focus just right on the bird. you've definitely got to grips as you put it. well done

keith

impotentspider said:

Hi,
Very nice, clear & sharp, makes me want to dash out and treat myself keep em coming.
Stan.

I actually think the BT is a bit soft and out of focus, presumably because you missed focus on the bird and got a branch instead.

What lens? The EXIF shows it's at a focal length of 500mm.

Other two - very nice: the exposure on the swans is right on the money.

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated. Its good to know that I am doing something right.

Keith, your probably right about the BT, I was focusing manually and also using a monopod so its quite possible I've moved forwards a little when pressing the shutter, you know how critical focus is when shooting at long focal lengths and wide apertures. I was using the Sigma 50-500.
I have since bought a Velbon CF630, it seems up to the task but the "free head" seems a bit wobbly for the Sigma, I'm going to try it with the Benbo ball and socket from my monopod next time I go out.

It's a very capable lens, and the other pictures definitely show the potential is there.

Once you've got some decent support (or learn good hand-holding technique) you'll be flying.

Nothing at all wrong with photographing captive birds. Beauty is beauty whereever it is found. Just dont post it on the gallery ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back