• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finland. Juvenille Owls to ID. (1 Viewer)

moose1991

Alces alces
Saw this photos on the Finnish Wartime Photographic archive.
I can't work out what species these juvenilles are.
I would be grateful in being educated on how to tell.
Cheers.
Captions in Finnish say .
Tiltu ja Molotoff . Joutseno 1941.07.21
and
Everstiluutnantti Laaksonen. Joutseno 1941.07.21

Attachments

• owl finland 1.jpg
    owl finland 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 18
  • owl finland 2.jpg
    owl finland 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 17
  • owl finland 3.jpg
    owl finland 3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Tiltu ja Molotoff 1.jpg
    Tiltu ja Molotoff 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Tiltu ja Molotoff 2.jpg
    Tiltu ja Molotoff 2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Colonel Laaksonen with his two owls “Molotoff” and “Tiltu”. Joutseno, Finland, July 1941
Why not eagle owls?
Gah! Never even thought of those. Cheers.

Saw this more recent photo which made me think of Ural Owl for the pair on his shoulders.

Eagle Owls indeed. The species was quite scarce as a breeder that time, and was still totally unprotected, it become commoner and expanded to the areas closer to human habitations after it got the legal protection from 1960's.

Probably soldiers had found the owlets and taken them as pets. Lieutenant colonel Laaksonen is a quite well known soldier. Joutseno is in SE Finland, close to the border (both current and then). At that time he was with his unit preparing for the attack against the Soviet Union, which was to begin in some weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back