• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (6 Viewers)

Hi All

Im on Half Term this week so I am possibly able to fit in some paintings however I have lots of coursework, and I am going to try and do a Firecrest some Justice.

I saw two this morning in a garden in Bury, Gtr Man, and I had forgotten just how excellent they are!

Zac

(I indend on doing the bird on the branch as that was a characteristic pose of the day!)

Attachments

• alby004.jpg
    alby004.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 108
These are just lovely Zac- well done. I saw my first firecrest the other week and managed to get a few photos. They may be difficult to work from but perhaps I'll have a go.

Very good Zac - love the top right hand corner sketch - but they're all lovely! Can't wait to see the finished painting...

Wow, you're better at drawing these flitty little birds than I am. It is however inexcusable to 'forget' how cracking these birds are!! Write 100 times, "firecrests are the best and never forget it!"
Really looking forward to seeing you paint this one up.

i think I have given the wrong impression here! the only birds drawn onsite were the bottom right bird and the general shape of the bottom left, the rest are from pictures!

I wasn't happy with the Firecrest so i just cropped it so that at least the bird was 'on show'. i may revisit the painting later on, but for now I wil move on.

Zac

(which bird for the reed painting?)

Attachments

• IMG_5438l.JPG
    IMG_5438l.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Reed005.jpg
    Reed005.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 97
Stunning stuff zac, lovely colours in the firecrest and the sketches are so life like, it's a shame I can't tick them!;)

I vote for a backlit, quatering barn owl at dusk...please?;)

This one hasn't quite turned out the way I would have hoped i.e the Bird is paler than the reeds on the darker parts and the face seems wrong

Attachments

• Reed006.jpg
    Reed006.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 113
don't think there's anything wrong with the tone, you've captued a beautiful light around the bird. If it were darker it would spoil that brightness. Be very careful with shadows, one of my biggest problems is that the pore I work something, the shadows become darker and the highlights become lighter, until I'm left with black and white, which isn't what I was aiming for.

This one hasn't quite turned out the way I would have hoped i.e the Bird is paler than the reeds on the darker parts and the face seems wrong

I like your work- most people starting out are much more tentative with colour and background. So the fact that you go for it is great- as for the Barn Owl, face shape looks good, so I reckon a teeny bit of darker brown on the rim of the facial disk and maybe also some to give a darker contour on the mantle only might do the trick for you.

EDIT- I see Nick has spoken!

Im afraid I am a perfectionist and will not enter anything unless I am impressed by it myself! so even tho I've been painting for only 5 months or so, I still think I should be brilliant...

Thanks for the comments all!

Zac - in my opinion this latest painting is a major step forward. It seems to me that this workis all about light (colour and, to some extent - form, are secondary) and in this context the painting works beautifully. Look back on this with pride and peer forward with the confidence this piece should bring. Very nice.

Personally im not happy with it, but im not my target audience!
Sorry to pull you up, Zac - but I think you're wrong. YOU are absolutely your 'target audience' - fundementally, no-one else matters but you when it comes to the creation of your own personal work. Now, whether you ever completely satisfy yourself is another question altogether ;) (I've been at it for more decades than I care to remember, and I don't think I can look back on any one painting and say it was a complete success!).
Keep at it, but do your own work in your own style and don't worry about other folk's opinions (but, like all of us, be receptive to crit and constructive comment). You're on your way.

hi Tim

You absolutely right, i realised as soon as i re-read my comment this morning. I am my target audience. In Fact, if I wasn't I wouldn't pass judgement on my own work so I wouldn't be able to improve the mistakes I may make.

I think I am going to try something easier for my next piec. Havn't decided yet!

Maybe a woodpecker or a drawing of something...

I feel slightly odd that no one to my knowlage has posted a pic of the White Crowned Sparrow!

I have decided to make this my next painting.

The bottom pic with the three birds is a general set up of a possible setting, however I think I am possibly going to have a group of 4 sparrow with the Yank being unobtrusive in the midst of them.

opinions would be most appreciated!

thank you

Attachments

• Reed007.jpg
    Reed007.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 88
Hi Zac

I thought I would pop in for a visit to this thread, and see how you are doing. Looks good from here. :t:

Hey love your Firecrests. Your White Crowned Sparrow will be a hit here as you say they are rarier to see. So the interest will be there, and it will give you inspiration for your subjects in future paintings o:)

To be honest you do need some pictures to refer to, as you are doing at the moment. Nothing to feel bothered about. A bird would be hard to paint in real life, as they never stay still long enough at all.

Everyone has given you lots of great advice here. One thing I would like to add is not to be too hard on yourself, and your abilities. You are very keen in what you do, and a very conscientious worker. That is a really good approach to have. Just remember that you will go through ups and downs as a painter does, so take everything in your stride now. You will succeed as you are doing at the moment.
A tiny bit more advice - if that is okay with you. Try to be open-minded to other peoples thoughts as they will help you on your way. Lots of like minded people here to keep you on your toes, as we all are here ;).

I love painting too, but do not do enough of it, so you can tell me off for that too. ;)

Will pop in again shortly for another look at your White Crowned Sparrow

Looking forward to it :-O :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back