• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First birdsong! (3 Viewers)

jogresh

Bimble and patch
I had a nice surprise this crisp, sunny morning - a Mistle Thrush in full song. Well, i guess they can be starting to nest build in 4 months or so! Funnily enough, Mistle Thrush isn't a bird i often see around here, and yet the habbo is perfect - horse fields and sports fields with adjacent mature trees. I think i need to pay closer attention to the bird life under my nose..
A Great Tit also sang heartily this morning too. :)

A Coal Tit in full song (albeit briefly) on Llys Helyg, Great Orme, Llandudno yesterday in beautiful sunny, still weather.
However, i'm pretty sure it was in response to me playing a cheeky bit of YBW on my phone, as it bombed over and burst into song. So not sure it really counts.
Also, a Woodpigeon in song, perhaps the last one i'll hear in their (often rather late) breeding season, perhaps not, we'll see.

Was lovely to hear a Cheshire Song Thrush in full song this evening, after a bit of a practice warm-up a couple of days ago. Full volume, all the phrases, just slightly less energetic than in Spring! 🦜

Wednesday a Stock Dove singing nr Dunham Park, perhaps a late breeder? Do they sing from within their nesting holes?, it sounded somewhat muffled!.. 🤔🤷‍♂️

Coal Tit singing again on the Great Orme a couple of weeks ago - without me playing YBW to get it in a tizz. 🦆

My first proper Blackbird song today, in Llandudno; initially perched on a roof on the back of Venue Cymru and later doing something i don't recall coming across before - singing heartily while foraging on the ground under and between bushes! Took me a while to locate the tinker even tho it was really close. It popped up onto a pole briefly but soon resumed singing and foraging.

Apart from that, the occasional Dunnock since early Dec, and the Cheshire Song Thrush started up again, this time imitating Ring Necked Parakeet - sign of the times!?

Obviously not singing but I was surprised to hear a Blue Tit pecking around the hole on the nest box in my garden the other day. I know they will often use nest boxes for roosting, but I thought they only did the faffing with the hole prior to proper nest building.

First drumming Great Spot Woody today, near Bodelwyddan Castle.
Also 4 Skylark on hilltop breeding area, tho not singing yet.. 🦆🦢🐦

Local Greenfinches have started their wheezing nasal song, no canary but I love it. And a Goldfinch twittering lustily. 🤩👍🐦🐦

The first Reed Bunting that I've heard singing, at Rostherne Mere, Cheshire, 2 weeks ago. Not the most widespread of species, but still. 👍🎶🎵🐦😀

A Great Tit was singing away yesterday Wed 6th Sept in the warm sunny weather. Robins have been back singing heartily for a couple of weeks now after their lull during high summer when they're lying low. Dunnocks have been giving their "autumnal" call since about the middle of August. :)

Last edited:
OK, so not "song", but I love hearing it all the same - 2 Blackbirds were doing the "chink chink" thing prior to going to roost this evening, around the concrete backyards where i live. Very atmospheric in the windless evening. 1 was in a Holly and the other was out of sight but flew past in the gloom to its final spot for the night.
I love it when the Blackbirds do this, it takes me right back to watching them as a young kid with fresh eyes as the mysterious dusk gathers and these birds disappeared until first light. I can still picture it in the long narrow garden where I grew up. 🤩👍🐦🐦

First proper Song Thrush song yaaay. This morning, pre-dawn in Timperley, Cheshire. I'd had one a couple of weeks ago having a half hearted go, but this was the real deal.
Then this afternoon, a Blackbird warbling away in a berried Cotoneaster shrub in the wind and rain in Altrincham. It is still mild tho! 🤩👍🐦👌🐦🎄🎅
Wow, your birds start singing so early, in Northern Ireland we only get real song from may to late summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back