• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly of 2023 (1 Viewer)

However, driving to the train station later did see a bona fide Clouded Yellow in flight.

Back in the UK now however, so that might be the end of things for me for a while at least, looking at the weather forecast too, unless happening to disturb anything whilst working perhaps.
Been bugging me that this was unfortunately probably a misid/string. It was yellowish, and the last Clouded Yellows I saw last year were both the pale Helice form iirc. I looked up images a few days later and confirmed my error - Large White would have been what it was. Oops!

Was back in France 7th - 12th March again. Butterflies seen - plenty of Brimstone, Red Admiral, Peacock and Wall.

Been bugging me that this was unfortunately probably a misid/string. It was yellowish, and the last Clouded Yellows I saw last year were both the pale Helice form iirc. I looked up images a few days later and confirmed my error - Large White would have been what it was. Oops!

Was back in France 7th - 12th March again. Butterflies seen - plenty of Brimstone, Red Admiral, Peacock and Wall.
You may have been right the first time Dan, I saw a couple of Clouded Yellow at 1000m asl here in the Alps a few weeks ago and there are reports from Département 31 (if that's the right one for you) from mid February.

You may have been right the first time Dan, I saw a couple of Clouded Yellow at 1000m asl here in the Alps a few weeks ago and there are reports from Département 31 (if that's the right one for you) from mid February.
I kind of still have an image of a large double black spot. But I was driving and it was brief, so maybe I should leave it ;-) (I do recall seeing Clouded Yellow feeding on a roadside verge in early March in France one year). Cheers ...

I was filming this bee among purple flowers and then I think I saw a Cabbage White. Not sure because it was far away. :) Apparently I can't attach a video here. They were cute and I had fun filming them.

Pretty sure I had my first holly blue today. Seen from a (barely) moving car so I’m not sure enough to year tick it but can’t imagine any other blues are flying yet.

In the last couple of days in Somerset I have also seen a couple of peacock butterflies and in the distance a couple of brimstones (I think).

Monday 3rd April - tripled my UK 2023 Butterfly List with Red Admiral and Peacock up at my place (Falmouth, Cornwall)

Thursday 6th April - a four butterfly species day (sunny but windy) - Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, 2 Peacock and Speckled Wood.

(I also dreamt I'd seen a Large White for the UK list, but can't count that lol)

Well done. Take them for granted down here & forget how scarce they are in the extreme north.
They're getting more common, particularly in VC95, they've been seen right up to the coast at Spey Bay. There have been a few reports in the Black Isle and one was even found just 4KM south of Dunnet Head a couple of years ago.

First White-letter Hairstreak of the year giving great views through a hand lens from my position up a ladder, as it hung motionless on its twig in an elm tree. Hopefully it'll make it to adult stage in a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back